Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M78--at last

Rodd

This is the first modicum of success I have had with this tricky target.  I see now that my trouble was not having near enough data.  Even this image, which consists of 204 1min lum subs taken with FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 has nowhere near enough data...but I can see the potential.  This is 204 subs which were not inspected or picked through.  I integrated all of them just to get an idea of where I stand.  Some in the beginning should probably be nixed, as they were taken when Orion was still low in the sky.  But--at least I know its possible, which was not the case at all prior to this morning.  Still a bit grainy and blotchy--though its getting better.  Doubling the data should help.  Then with the addition of the RGB and Ha stacks, I think it will work.

Lum 204 60 sec

L-204g.thumb.jpg.4ce82109a765f683311c298d063ce49b.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

M78 nice to see this - one of my favourite targets. Hope to be imaging this one myself soon.

Yes--I find this target fascinating--a little bit of everything in this one.

Rodd

On 04/11/2018 at 13:55, Rodd said:

This is the first modicum of success I have had with this tricky target.  I see now that my trouble was not having near enough data.  Even this image, which consists of 204 1min lum subs taken with FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 has nowhere near enough data...but I can see the potential.  This is 204 subs which were not inspected or picked through.  I integrated all of them just to get an idea of where I stand.  Some in the beginning should probably be nixed, as they were taken when Orion was still low in the sky.  But--at least I know its possible, which was not the case at all prior to this morning.  Still a bit grainy and blotchy--though its getting better.  Doubling the data should help.  Then with the addition of the RGB and Ha stacks, I think it will work.

Lum 204 60 sec

L-204g.thumb.jpg.4ce82109a765f683311c298d063ce49b.jpg

Great. A devil of a target. I dare say I'm coming to the end of my three year sulk following my last attempt so I might - only might - consider approaching this one again this winter. But I scent victory for you, Rodd, in this approach! Attaboy...

Olly

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm coming to the end of my three year sulk following my last attempt

Thanks, Olly--I am sure you attempt wasn't THAT bad--in fact, it kind of reminds me of the boy who sat in front of me in calculus.  He would look like the world was coming to an end, and I would ask what the problem was.  His day was doomed because he had gotten a B+ on a quiz! ?

Rodd

Looks very promising to me Rodd. If you are interested you can see my attempt at it here with unfortunately only 5 hours of data using my Canon DSLRs and a Canon 300 f/4 telephoto lens supplied with additional data from my ES 5" budget apo. Should hit it with my Esprits and ASI cameras, but only clouds forecasted here for the next week. Not an easy target and as you can see I got to version K before letting it be:

https://www.astrobin.com/319196/K/

14 minutes ago, gorann said:

Looks very promising to me Rodd. If you are interested you can see my attempt at it here with unfortunately only 5 hours of data using my Canon DSLRs and a Canon 300 f/4 telephoto lens supplied with additional data from my ES 5" budget apo. Should hit it with my Esprits and ASI cameras, but only clouds forecasted here for the next week. Not an easy target and as you can see I got to version K before letting it be:

Nice.  It always amazes me how a target changes with the camera angle--I guess that's why we can shoot these things over and over and not get tired of it.  Just rotate the camera a bit a Voila, there is a new image!  It almost looks like there is a red lane extending from the loop on which M78 sits.  

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Nice.  It always amazes me how a target changes with the camera angle--I guess that's why we can shoot these things over and over and not get tired of it.  Just rotate the camera a bit a Voila, there is a new image!  It almost looks like there is a red lane extending from the loop on which M78 sits.  

Rodd

Yes, I have been rotating my recent Sh2-115&116 image over and over again. Looks very different, and with differnt qualities, and I cannot make up my mind.....

6 minutes ago, gorann said:

Yes, I have been rotating my recent Sh2-115&116 image over and over again. Looks very different, and with differnt qualities, and I cannot make up my mind.....

That's why this hobby is so great--we can shoot and reshoot the targets over and over again and always have an interesting, different image to admire.  I tend not to rotate because I think you need all new flats if the camera angle changes.  Olly and others do not feel the same way (if I remember correctly). I would love to rotate the camera at different angles for different targets.  But, I will say, even with a CAA, I can NEVER find the exact same angle twice.  If I rotate the camera and then try to revisit a target and rotate the camera to try and match the angle--never happens.  It is very strange.  I will align a star perfectly, but other stars will be off by 1/4 inch on the screen.  But the funny thing is--stars in a different location in the FOV will be off in different directions, so if I rotate the camera one way to align some stars, others will be off.  I do not understand it.  Because of this (and needing new flats--maybe), I am loathed to change the camera angle.

Rodd

2 minutes ago, Rodd said:

That's why this hobby is so great--we can shoot and reshoot the targets over and over again and always have an interesting, different image to admire.  I tend not to rotate because I think you need all new flats if the camera angle changes.  Olly and others do not feel the same way (if I remember correctly). I would love to rotate the camera at different angles for different targets.  But, I will say, even with a CAA, I can NEVER find the exact same angle twice.  If I rotate the camera and then try to revisit a target and rotate the camera to try and match the angle--never happens.  It is very strange.  I will align a star perfectly, but other stars will be off by 1/4 inch on the screen.  But the funny thing is--stars in a different location in the FOV will be off in different directions, so if I rotate the camera one way to align some stars, others will be off.  I do not understand it.  Because of this (and needing new flats--maybe), I am loathed to change the camera angle.

Rodd

Actually, I meant rotating it while processing (in 90° steps). You of course got a point that rotating the camera while finding the best framing is also an interesting/frustrating exercise that easily can use up valuable imaging time....

There is a BAA report that McNeil’s Nebula, a variable Nebula in the vicinity of M78 has disappeared. If I have my location correct, your image would appear to confirm this.

A cosmic event captured, congratulations!?

10 minutes ago, tomato said:

There is a BAA report that McNeil’s Nebula, a variable Nebula in the vicinity of M78 has disappeared. If I have my location correct, your image would appear to confirm this.

A cosmic event captured, congratulations!?

Where is the location in the above image?

Rodd

8 minutes ago, tomato said:

And here is the BAA bulletin:

https://britastro.org/node/16309

I see the double star and star 157 if I am looking in the right place.  So it does appear to be gone.  Too bad I was not the first one to image this.  Still interesting though.  maybe it will reappear during my RGB subs--or just the red subs and then people will say that it turned mono!

Rodd 

I now see in Goran's image the nebula IS there.  So....I am convinced.

Rodd

On 06/11/2018 at 07:50, gorann said:

Archived