SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Photoshop newbie question

Hi,

I'm using photoshop for the first time and from the very start i'm already stuck.

As a guide i'm working along with a how to video of Trevor Jones from AstroBackyard.

So he starts by opening his stacked file, does a crop, convert it to 16bit, creates a threshold layer to determine the black and white point.

So far so good....

Using the Color Sample tool he places 2 points, black is 1 and white is 2, the value's per point are shown in the info panel.

Then he opens levels and adjusts the left slider of the RGB channels individually and sets them so the value's in the info panel at point 1 are all the same (19 in this case) (this action is highlighted red on the foto)

The next step is to adjust the levels of the second point, this time using the right slider , in his video this changes the values highlighted blue of the second point.

This is where it goes wrong for me, in my case it changes the values of the first point again.

IMG_6680.thumb.jpg.0a7d1c2d6508398522e13c610b6579b3.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help !

Hi hi,

I have not used PS for a while, but as I recall, "The Right" slider in Levels should Not be touched during the whole process...
Skip this step and never come back, - move forward.

The left one (dark side) can and should be adjusted and even several times, some suggest, move it in small steps to get the better results... But I have not noticed the difference.

On 04/11/2018 at 13:39, RolandKol said:

Hi hi,

I have not used PS for a while, but as I recall, "The Right" slider in Levels should Not be touched during the whole process...
Skip this step and never come back, - move forward.

The left one (dark side) can and should be adjusted and even several times, some suggest, move it in small steps to get the better results... But I have not noticed the difference.

hi,

thank you for your comment.

I did move along not adjusting the right slider, the image came out acceptable.

But it's clear i'm no photoshop-pro by a long shot...

Archived