Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sir Patrick as the new £50

zakkhogan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

I've voted for John Clerk Maxwell.

Having thought about it a bit, I hope the BoE eventually choose someone like this.  No disrespect to Stephen Hawking or SPM or whomever, but I think I'd like it to be someone who one can point to on the note (not that I'm ever likely to be in possession of a £50 note) and say to anyone "Your life is the way it is because of what this person did", be that because they didn't die of TB or Cholera, or because they can travel to places without needing a horse and cart or because they can talk to people using a mobile phone, for example.

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Or perhaps because he has been on the £1 note.

James

Aha!  That's going back a bit!  Others - Ernest Rutherford, Michael Faraday.  Away from physics, what about John Snow who worked out the epidemiology of cholera by plotting cases during the Broad Street epidemic of 1854, identifying a contaminated well.  This discovery has subsequently saved  miliions of lives.  Or William Harvey with his work on blood circulation and the heart, his work finally laid to rest the validity of Greco Roman health beliefs and opened to doors to modern medicine.

I have put forward a nonimation.

I won't say who it is for fear of inciting argument.

For my two pennorth. We ought to be putting scientists and engineers on money, public buildings (not just in a Uni campus) and lots of other places.
These are the people who made possible and built the (99% good) world for us.
Their achievements often go unnoticed.

David.

Typed on a plastic keyboard, processed using silicon chips. Powered by Mr Farady's elastic trickery.
Left to politicians I would probably be scratching a slate by the light of a log fire in my cave.

If John Clerk Maxwell wins it will have a certain irony that the image might never be seen in his country of birth (deep pockets/ short arms) ? ( a Scotsman's just a Yorkshire-man who has had his sense of generosity removed) I have heard them all !!! ?

Good call though - I shall vote for him.

57 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

If John Clerk Maxwell wins it will have a certain irony that the image might never be seen in his country of birth (deep pockets/ short arms) ? ( a Scotsman's just a Yorkshire-man who has had his sense of generosity removed) I have heard them all !!! ?

Or even because you use funny money ?

You’re a bit out of line there pal. Patrick Moore was famous for being both outrageously sexist and outrageously racist. Whether or not you enjoyed his monocled astronomy output doesn’t suddenly negate any of those facts or, moreover, mean I am “trolling” by pointing out that supporting these behaviours in the form of petition signing without being furnished with all the facts is somehow undesirable.

And he wasn’t a scientist. 

25 minutes ago, Anton Astro said:

You’re a bit out of line there pal. Patrick Moore was famous for being both outrageously sexist and outrageously racist. Whether or not you enjoyed his monocled astronomy output doesn’t suddenly negate any of those facts or, moreover, mean I am “trolling” by pointing out that supporting these behaviours in the form of petition signing without being furnished with all the facts is somehow undesirable.

And he wasn’t a scientist. 

Dress it up how you like. You’re still trolling.

• Scott locked this topic

Archived