Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sir Patrick as the new £50

zakkhogan

I started a fb campaign to get sir Patrick as the face of the new £50.

however since then the Bank of England are now taking nominations on its website for British scientist. 

Please follow this link to nominate Sir Patrick as the face of the be £50

https://app.keysurvey.co.uk/f/1348443/10fc/

Please help make sir Patrick immortalized on this new £50 note.

Many Craig

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nice thought but I couldn't, in good conscience vote for PM when there is a real scientist by the name of Stephen Hawking. As influential as PM was to the astronomy world, at the end of the day, he was an amateur astronomer with a very good TV show. I'm not even sure he if he has any scientific qualifications

50 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Done! Good link. A far better choice than Vordeman which every body seems to want.........Dave

I wasn't aware that Ms Vordeman had passed away?. If the question of who should feature on the £50 note is open to all then it will be available to the "Boaty McBoatface" crowd, so could end up being anyone.    ? 

But a great opportunity to root out the "Politically Correct"? lol ?
Do you think they make *lists* of these "SPM dissenters" on SGL?

Fwiw, a boyhood hero of mine. But a lot of time has elapsed since.
Perhaps James Clark Maxwell was too much a "Scottish Patriot". ?

41 minutes ago, Macavity said:

But a great opportunity to root out the "Politically Correct"? lol ?
Do you think they make *lists* of these "SPM dissenters" on SGL?

Fwiw, a boyhood hero of mine. But a lot of time has elapsed since.
Perhaps James Clark Maxwell was too much a "Scottish Patriot". ?

Indeed I was thinking of JC Maxwell.

Ian

51 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Perhaps James Clark Maxwell was too much a "Scottish Patriot"

There was a campaign to have JC Maxwell on a Royal Bank of Scotland note a while ago, but not sure what became of it.

He was at Cambridge and London Universities for a while, so I suppose that counts.

I must admit, I would expect if it came to a straight choice between Patrick Moore and Stephen Hawking, the latter would win.

From what I heard, it's meant to be a scientist who is no longer with us?

Stephen Hawking gets my vote, sorry! 

?

Yes, I believe that popular as he was, SPM struggles to qualify.  I'd guess the likely final choice will be someone whose achievements have had an impact on a large number of lives, both here and perhaps around the world, or who significantly transformed our understanding of the world/universe.  If you look at some of the engineers and scientists who have appeared on British bank notes in the past and consider what they achieved and how it relates to the modern world I think that gives an idea of what they're after.

In some respects I'd very happily classify SPM as a "citizen scientist", but I don't think he's the kind of figure they're really going to be looking for.

James

25 minutes ago, Jonk said:

From what I heard, it's meant to be a scientist who is no longer with us?

Unless you think SPM is living on the far side of the moon with Elvis*, I'm afraid he is no longer with us ? 

Or do you mean 'the man off the telly' wasn't really a scientist...? 

Amongst his many services to amateur and professional astronomy was his compilation of The Caldwell Catalogue. I think that on its own qualifies him as "someone who conducts scientific research to advance knowledge in an area of interest", which is the generally-held (aka Wikipedia) definition of a scientist. 

Ady

* one of SPM's favourite subjects. The Dark Side of the Moon, that is - not Elvis's whereabouts... ? 

PS - obviously Hawkins has a good shout - I'm not putting him down - but I think it is SPM's turn.. 

I don't think there is a limit to the number of people you can nominate. I have just followed the link and voted again, this time for Stephen Hawking.  We'd all love to see an Astro related person on the new £50 note and if we vote for a few different ones, one of them might stand a chance of being on there.

Steve 

Archived