Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M74 Phantom Galaxy

ollypenrice

This is an older image from the ODK14/SXVH36 belonging at the time to Yves Van den Broek which I've re-worked by replacing the stars with those from an hour per channel RGB from the TEC140/Atik 460 taken last night. (A guest and I are working on an all-TEC M74 this week.) I do prefer it with smaller, spikeless stars. In the original some of the spikes were just at that stage of making the stars look square without really forming extended spikes. This galaxy has a low surface brightness, hence its nickname. It will be interesting to see if it gives much in Ha. A bit of ruby glitter would suit it nicely! The core reminds me strongly of M101.

472230415_M74ODKwithTECSTARSWEB.thumb.jpg.68b2cc354e918561e2147b1533674f90.jpg

Olly

Edit: Please scroll down for later version with Ha.

On first glance this could easily be mistaken for M101, although this seems more symmetrical and to my eye a more attractive target. I think it's lovely and look forward the addition of HA - perhaps a little more micro contrast/sharpening on the innermost core spiral may add to the 3D effect that this fantastic image already has?

Chapeau!

Rich

16 minutes ago, RichLD said:

On first glance this could easily be mistaken for M101, although this seems more symmetrical and to my eye a more attractive target. I think it's lovely and look forward the addition of HA - perhaps a little more micro contrast/sharpening on the innermost core spiral may add to the 3D effect that this fantastic image already has?

Chapeau!

Rich

Thanks Rich, you have a point. Something along these lines?

218309574_M74ODKwithTECSTARSV3.thumb.jpg.a68b8546e4fc28512a88030dbb8d8e30.jpg

Olly

Hi Olly

Now for a start really nice core :)  , being mr pixel police , the stars and the outer of the galaxy seem very soft compared to the core

appearing to be image off 2 parts ?

But then again I wish I had this data :)

Yes I know winge winge winge ?

Harry

37 minutes ago, harry page said:

Hi Olly

Now for a start really nice core :)  , being mr pixel police , the stars and the outer of the galaxy seem very soft compared to the core

appearing to be image off 2 parts ?

But then again I wish I had this data :)

Yes I know winge winge winge ?

Harry

You're quite right but I prefer not to sharpen stars, Harry, so the effect is deliberate. I feel that the eye is drawn to the sharpened stars when I want it to be drawn to the galaxy behind. Perhaps its over-done on this occasion? It's also true that the core is sharper than the outer parts. SInce the outer parts can't be sharpened you have to make the call on the core: push it for its detail or leave in harmony with the rest. You can make a case for both, I think.

Thanks for the incisive input, as ever!

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

You're quite right but I prefer not to sharpen stars, Harry, so the effect is deliberate. I feel that the eye is drawn to the sharpened stars when I want it to be drawn to the galaxy behind. Perhaps its over-done on this occasion? It's also true that the core is sharper than the outer parts. SInce the outer parts can't be sharpened you have to make the call on the core: push it for its detail or leave in harmony with the rest. You can make a case for both, I think.

Thanks for the incisive input, as ever!

Olly

Hi

I entirely agree with the stars , I also do not like to see little spots everywhere - It was on this occasion they seemed a bit too soft

anyway Keep up the good work

Cheers me dears

Harry

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Now with a little Ha from last night (5x15 minutes) and a bit more contrast enhancement:

841217314_M74ODKwithTECSTARSHaLRGB.thumb.jpg.be09d7d7fe71d5d8bc78bcc57e5c7137.jpg

We have a winner! FWIW I like the contrast between the softer stars and the galaxy, it all adds to the dynamic of the image. I really love this!

Archived