Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

best format to save images to for posting

been working on the Eastern Veil Nebula and it looked great when processed and saved as a 16 bit tiff file on my obsy monitor, i have saved it a 8 bit jpeg for posting to websites and it looks awful and dark on my house pc monitor, the monitor is not as good a quality as the obsy one but it looks shocking, so what is the best all round file format to save and post images for the web ?

i`ve added a copy of the image i took.

398529951_photoshop-easternveilnebula-16-bit.thumb.jpg.a7274111665f8bf27091eb690d1cc53f.jpg

.png works best in my experience - however, they're always so much poorer quality compared to what I see on my 32 inch monitor that I hate to post them really LOL!

I post high res. versions on my website though which, with a OneDrive account I don't have to worry about size etc.

And then there's AstroBin etc. - you can point people to the better quality image there.

Great shot by the way! ?

David

It's great to see this object in the green/red format instead of the usual blue/red

When I imaged with a one-shot-colour camera (QHY8) it always came out green/red - and for some dumb reason I'd spend hours trying to make it blue/red lol

It's about that time I decided to minimise my interference with colour when I could and concentrate on bringing out detail and correcting field errors instead of "painting" the image ?

Again, great work

David

I think to keep the size manageable,  you can only use a lossy format like JPEG. But there is difference in quality of the compressors and most important a low compression setting to avoid too many artefacts. Compression factor 90 or 100%.

...another fantastic way to maintain quality is post it to OneDrive then post it here using the url function

I've done that and haven't noticed a difference in quality - and you don't take up any space on your SGL account ?

David

Archived