Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Attempt At a deep city Picture

In my struggles with finding someone who wants to head out to the desert to do some late night observing... I have taken to my back yard in LA.... Honestly I know these images are not anything compared to the things that people post here... but I am slowly working on adapting to the living xD 

And with taking the images with a cellphone camera... lol... I cant really complain... 

iPhone X Camera, 2x Barlow, 25mm Eyepiece...  

I know sad attempt... but planning my trip out to the desert for when the real camera gets here! 

If anyone has any advice for city observing... They would be very appreciated... I know that there is a filter that is designed to try to remove most of the city lights.... but I have no idea what its called. 

IMG-2208.JPG

IMG-2207.JPG

IMG-2206.JPG

We all start somewhere and there is no shame in showing what you have achieved.

Imaging and observing can be done from city lots, don't rush in and spend cash, research!

I'm not really an observer, others may help you there but here in my light polluted town I beat it
by using just narrowband, all my imaging is with a narrow Ha filter.

If you can get out into the desert there is no substitute for a nice dark sky. ?

The filter you are thinking of is called a light pollution reduction or LPR filter. Here are a few examples: light-pollution-reduction

It also depends on what type of camera you are getting. If you are getting a mono camera then you can get narrow band filters like Mike says above, but if you are getting a colour camera then narrow band filters aren't going to be much help.

A dew shield helps to block out a lot of direct light and so helps with contrast as does trying to observe in the 'shadow' of a building etc.

HTH

Archived