SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shutter release cable vs computer software

Hi everyone, 

im about to purchase my first astrophotography rig and was wanting some opinions on the best method to capture subs. I’m looking at using backyard EOS on my laptop to control the DSLR, but would using a shutter release cable be better/easier? 

Thanks. 

I presume by 'shutter release', you mean an intervalometer which has a handset that can program multiple long exposures, as well as a remote shutter release? Like this - LCD Timer Shutter Release Remote

If you are, then for a beginner I would actually  recommend if you can afford it...  Whilst the goal may be to have computer control, it is always useful to have the ability to program a set of exposures in cases where the PC control either isn't available, or is playing up ?

As a beginner I used mine extensively... 

(If you are considering the wired intervalometer above, then see if you can stump up another tenner for the wireless version - Wireless Remote Shutter Controller; the wireless mode avoids having to hang the controller from you OTA, and can always be used wired if needed.) 

Ady

PS - I'm not recommending the actual handsets listed, just picking suitable-looking ones. Which is pretty much what I did when I bought mine a couple of years ago... ? 

1 hour ago, Lachlan said:

im about to purchase my first astrophotography rig

Can you give us an idea of what you are considering (which will also give an idea of your budget and initial expectation)? Sometimes people are lucky enough to start with some reasonably capable imaging kit to start with, while others have to keep to a tight budget and look for something more minimalistic when they first take the plunge... 

9 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Can you give us an idea of what you are considering (which will also give an idea of your budget and initial expectation)?

I’m purchasing the William Optics Zenithstar 61 for use with a Skywatcher EQ 3 pro mount. I figured the wide-field nature would be forgiving on my polar alignment skills while I farmiarise myself with the many factors that are at play when capturing images. 

11 hours ago, paul mc c said:

No...unless you want to manually snap photos over a couple of maybe hours, APT or Backyard lets you set your camera to take as many subs as you want and leave you free to do what ever you want.

Sorry i misjudged that,i took it for granted it was a permanent set up,ignore my suggestion.?

27 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Sorry i misjudged that,i took it for granted it was a permanent set up,ignore my suggestion.?

No problem! Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it 

I always use an intervalometer. My computer only has three USB sockets(!) which are mouse (touchpad has died), mount and guidescope.

The only downside is that I can't dither with this setup.

The plus is that the intervalometer makes things like taking short test shots etc. is every easy.

I started off using an intervalometer because I already had one with my DSLR so it was familiar ground.

After a few months I tried the APT free software and really liked it, in particular I found the large live view/image review screen and the ability to dither really useful. As a result I don’t use an intervalometer anymore. However, I think the intervalometer was definitely a good way to keep things simple when I was just starting up and getting to grips with new things like polar alignment.   

Archived