Narrowband

102mm Mak + 0.5x reducer + Altair GPCAMV2 IMX224

heliumstar

I can finally report my first success with live video astronomy. Target was M57 and it's beautiful. Colours man!!!

After half an hour of failure with SharpCap I decided to run Altair's own software and bam! After 3 minutes of 5s exposures and all other settings on default there it was!

I am also happy to report that Altair's 0.5x reducer ( looks like all the other generic ones ) seems to be working well with the little Mak.

I now feel that the whole astro setup that I like is coming together. I love the little Mak and it looks like it works for video as well as for visual (planets, moon and open clusters ) even from my light polluted balcony.

50 minutes ago, heliumstar said:

He he R26 olditmer, you are making me google for equipment!

Not my intention, just wanting to make sure you're  Not giving up on some of the equipment you've acquired, before giving it a fair chance!

That frac is already fast at f/4.6 so it's a go for va. On the other hand you 've got your 0.5 reducer which gives you that reduction at it's nominal spacing from the sensor (around 44-48mm). Increase that distance and you get more reduction but also more aberrations. Decrease it and you get less reduction. A yellow filter will help with bloated stars, a uhc even more as well as l.p..

Don't go buy things just give what you already have a thorough test.

Archived