Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier33 The Triangulum Galaxy in HaLRGB

Laurin Dave

Data collected 29th and 30th October with my Esprit 150ED, ASI1600mm on a Skywatcher AZEQ-6.  90x60s L, 45x120s each RGB and 18x600s Ha. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.  So much H2! NGC604 stands out, it has a diameter of nearly 1500 light years and is one of the largest known H2 regions.

Thanks for looking

Dave

M33_Ha_LRGBCombination_SCNR_ps_crop.thumb.png.dd53dc5bb44f457a7bc1ebb3ce4c280e.png

I like it, too. There are so many ways to image and, above all, process M33. Here we have it natural-looking and unforced but with bags of detail. Very nice indeed and in warmer tones than usual, perhaps, thanks to the strong Ha.

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Excellent image. I would say that it confirms @ollypenrice's argument that a 6" refractor combined with a small pixel camera can stand its ground in galaxy imaging.

I think it does. I'm getting on a bit and don't have any big spending plans any more. If I can't do it in a 6 inch class refractor I won't be doing it but I don't think I'll be missing much.

Olly

Thanks to all for your kind comments, much appreciated.  It is almost exactly a year to the day since I first imaged M33 through my 20year old 10" LX200 mounted on an AZEQ-6 with a Nikon D90 and an intervalometer.. I knew next to nothing about back focus, coma and mirror flop and boy did it show.  I struggled gamely on for 6 months battling these issues and the mounts PE (whilst searching this and other forums for help and advice and occasionally seeing sense and using my GTF81 frac) before deciding that as 60 was fast approaching life was too short and that I should invest in some kit that just worked..  I may have taken your advice Olly :) ..  The Esprit arrived in late May, the Mesu will hopefully arrive before Xmas I can't wait as the Esprit is too big/long for the mount, it makes it run slow and guiding deteriorates as the scope moves away from vertical.  Now if only someone made a full frame mono cmos camera....

As for the processing,  I mainly use Pixinsight and at the moment just use Photoshop for final finishing, although I want to learn to do more with it.  I used photometric colour calibration in Pi but to my tastes it was too cold so re-did it using Pi colour calibration and it warmed up substantially. Ha was added using Pi's NBRGBCombination script, which I believe adds it to the red channel, but it needed to be toned back using a variety of masks SCNR on red and DBE... There's quite a lot of it on this one.. 

Dave

M33_Ha.thumb.jpg.e6f991fbe242df79bf88426389bce5a9.jpg

That’s a great result, I must try this one before I lose it from my current ‘East only’ vantage point.

Hats off to you getting results like this with that mighty refractor on your current mount. I always thought the Mesu was really oversized for my needs, until I put the Esprit 150 on it, now it all looks in proportion.

My daughter says I look like a weight lifter doing the clean and jerk when I lift it onto the mount.

Dave 

fantastic image - I also tried my hand at M33 a few weeks ago , same camera similar RGBHa concept but on a 106 refractor. I didn’t manage to capture as much detail as your image -I had no L - think that I now should try for some L although M33 is heading westwards and into a bunch of light pollution from large warehouse park.

Anyway thanks for posting and it’s a great image and the processing has as others have said really highlighted the Ha but you’ve also got good definition in the spirals, oh and colour balance is excellent- I struggled with that in PI and PS, but you have got it spot on IMHO

great work and thanks for posting - helps push us all onwards and hopefully upwards 

Bryan 

Archived