SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Iris in RGB

peter shah

9 minutes ago, peter shah said:

you are not wrong they are there .....and a real pain ... unfortunately I dont have enough frames for them to vanish completely 

You can do following trick, it is a bit more involved but it will clear up trails completely.

Each trail is usually single offending sub. Since you have multiple trails - that will involve even more work, but it is same process in each case:

create multiple stacks - in each stack exclude offending sub (one containing particular trail) - if you have multiple trails - you need to create multiple stacks.

First stack is one with all frames, and then you create additional stack for each offending sub - by excluding that particular sub from stack.

Take all subs and put them as layers in PS with bottom layer being "master" stack (one containing all subs) - then use mask layer on each of other subs and paint in only trails so that stack not containing trail in that particular place overlaps original "master" stack.

Hope it makes sense - it is in essence doing sigma clip by hand and there fore much more control on what pixels get excluded.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There is one other trick if you have Noel's Actions for Ps. If you have a residual trail, rotate the image so this trail is vertical, then make a copy layer and run the 'remove vertical banding' routine on it. Go to the top layer and erase just the bit with the trail, flatten and restore the original image orientation.

Love it....Never even thought of that Olly....I will give that a go

3 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

You can do following trick, it is a bit more involved but it will clear up trails completely.

Each trail is usually single offending sub. Since you have multiple trails - that will involve even more work, but it is same process in each case:

create multiple stacks - in each stack exclude offending sub (one containing particular trail) - if you have multiple trails - you need to create multiple stacks.

First stack is one with all frames, and then you create additional stack for each offending sub - by excluding that particular sub from stack.

Take all subs and put them as layers in PS with bottom layer being "master" stack (one containing all subs) - then use mask layer on each of other subs and paint in only trails so that stack not containing trail in that particular place overlaps original "master" stack.

Hope it makes sense - it is in essence doing sigma clip by hand and there fore much more control on what pixels get excluded.

It make perfect sense...thank you :thumbsup:

As already stated this is an exeptionally nice image and as said it is stunning how you could pull this off with a relatively short total integration time. I expect that the light grasp of your obviously perfectly collimated 12" f/3.8 reflector may be partly responsible for this and to obtain an image of this class with a refractor would probably demand quite a bit more integration time (but maybe with less efforts put into collimation and focusing). Since I now have invested in two Esprits I put my faith in Olly's suggestion @ollypenricethat anything can be accomplished with a refractor, at least a 6" one, but we may need quite a bit more of total exposure time to reach your level of dust and detail.

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

As already stated this is an exeptionally nice image and as said it is stunning how you could pull this off with a relatively short total integration time. I expect that the light grasp of your obviously perfectly collimated 12" f/3.8 reflector may be partly responsible for this and to obtain an image of this class with a refractor would probably demand quite a bit more integration time (but maybe with less efforts put into collimation and focusing). Since I now have invested in two Esprits I put my faith in Olly's suggestion @ollypenricethat anything can be accomplished with a refractor, at least a 6" one, but we may need quite a bit more of total exposure time to reach your level of dust and detail.

Thank you....

There is no other way of saying it... The AG12 is very difficult to collimate, but when its done and set up correctly it is very stable,  to get it stable you have to know it inside out which is the difficult part. It can be quite twitchy around the mirror cell which is where most owners fall down, over tightening the primary locking screws is fatal for flex.  I can confidently point mine in any part of the sky with minimal flex. 

Olly knows his stuff, so if he says you can, then you can :thumbsup:..... Integration time is a little more tricky for me (and others) being in the UK which is why I favor the faster scope... So I have learned, more out of necessity, to push my processing as far as I possibly can. 

15 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Thank you....

There is no other way of saying it... The AG12 is very difficult to collimate, but when its done and set up correctly it is very stable,  to get it stable you have to know it inside out which is the difficult part. It can be quite twitchy around the mirror cell which is where most owners fall down, over tightening the primary locking screws is fatal for flex.  I can confidently point mine in any part of the sky with minimal flex. 

Olly knows his stuff, so if he says you can, then you can :thumbsup:..... Integration time is a little more tricky for me (and others) being in the UK which is why I favor the faster scope... So I have learned, more out of necessity, to push my processing as far as I possibly can. 

A very sensible strategy that you are clearly mastering Peter!

9 hours ago, peter shah said:

Integration time is a little more tricky for me (and others) being in the UK which is why I favor the faster scope... So I have learned, more out of necessity, to push my processing as far as I possibly can. 

This is perfectly true. Another factor drives me towards refractors as well, though: as a provider my stuff has to 'just work.' Well, as far as that's possible in this game!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived