Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexus / Argo Navis Interchangeability

Stargazer McCabe

I have familiarity with Serge’s Nexus DSC and Nexus II having Encoders on our Dob and a couple of our Mounts from Beat. 

We use the Nexus units connected to our respective SkySafari 6 Pro Obsering Lists on both our iPhones.

Next year we’re visiting Reinhold Schreiber again in Namibia and have, at this juncture, planned on using his 20” and 10” Dobs again. 

Reinhold has just offered me use of his 25” Dob with an Argo Navis system. I’d be mad to not take him up on this, but he and I weren’t sure if I could swap the Argo Navis unit for my Nexus if I take it...

I’d obviously have to alter the settings in my SkySafari to account for the correct Encoder steps, but does anyone know if my logic is sound and that the connections are the same between encoder cables and units ?

I’ve written to Serge and will post what he says. But in the interim I thought it might be worth checking in here...

Thanks in advance. 

True to form, Serge has come up trumps and called me upon receipt of my email yesterday.

It’s not as simple as just swapping units. But as I have both a Nexus II and a Nexus DSC, I should be able to make things work depending on whether the 25” has a ServoCat installed in the system or not...

Archived