Narrowband

Obtaining flats on RC

I'm getting there with my new setup, but one thing is giving me concern. I can't figure out how I can get a consistent, repeatable setup for taking flats, especially considering I want to set my gear up remotely. I've heard of flip covers, but...

image.png.b156de120c360f44a1dd047eb2bd955c.png

That thingy will be in the way of any kind of screen I move in front, which means there will be space between the plate and gear giving me concerns for reflections and bad flats. Another option is shooting at the dawn sky, but my experience from the RASA tells me I will pick up stars even at fairly bright skies.

Anyone with opinions or experiences on things I can try out? I'd prefer not to invest in the flipper before I am 100% certain it can work on this.

2 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Mount an EL panel on the wall and use this as your 'park' position with the telescope at a right angle to the panel?

hmm, good idea. I'll try out the one I have, although it was way too bright for the RASA.

You do like complicated telescopes! ? With a large dither between subs, and a good number of them, the stars should sigma out if you're picking them up. Many of the robotic software control packages have a twilight sky flats routine which seems to work. However, some of my 'robotic guests' use a flats panel which I set up for them. In a permanent setup the life span of a set of flats is normally long, as in maybe a year. (If it weren't I'd get grumpy about doing them!!!)

Olly

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You do like complicated telescopes! ? With a large dither between subs, and a good number of them, the stars should sigma out if you're picking them up. Many of the robotic software control packages have a twilight sky flats routine which seems to work. However, some of my 'robotic guests' use a flats panel which I set up for them. In a permanent setup the life span of a set of flats is normally long, as in maybe a year. (If it weren't I'd get grumpy about doing them!!!)

Olly

Good point. I'll try the dither routine as well.

So, today I decided to just do the narrowband flats. I turned telescope up during the day, took one second shots through 3nm filters and it got me 20000 ADU flats. Easy, peasy. More fiddling needed with luminance, though...

Archived