Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone around Fleet, Farnborough area?

Fairly new to the area is anyone here local? Is there any local meets, clubs, star parties etc. 

I have heard of HantsAstro and Buster farm, I'll go there next time there is a meeting. 

My back garden is surrounded by trees so I'm Looking also for places close by that would be good for AP. 

Thanks 

Hi Leon

I'm Denmead, which is just down the road from Hants Astro's site in Clanfield. 

I'm pretty lucky as I'm fairly rural and have a fairly unrestricted view. That said we aren't far from Southdowns which is a Dark Sky site, couple of good areas are Butser Hill near Petersfield, Old Winchester Hill near Warnford. 

This site is a good port of call:

https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoy/dark-night-skies/

• Like 1

Hi Don, thanks for that mate, yeah I'm not far from south downs so it's a great shout. So lucky hi have it that close.  I’ve thought of going to old Winchester hill . More of a planned outing though tbh, i think I need to find somewhere within 15-20mins from home so I can get there do an hour or 2 AP and get home on a school night!  Cheers for the link too 

Edited by Leon-Fleet

Hi Leon,

I used to be a member of Farnham Astro (http://www.farnham-as.co.uk/) until I moved to Norfolk a couple of years ago. They are a great bunch and I have no hesitation recommending them. They meet at Aldershot Cricket Club and during the Fall/Winter months try to get out for observing once per month at Alice Holt Forest with whom they have a specifc arrangement.

Cheers, Geof

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Leon,

I used to be a member of Farnham Astro (http://www.farnham-as.co.uk/) until I moved to Norfolk a couple of years ago. They are a great bunch and I have no hesitation recommending them. They meet at Aldershot Cricket Club and during the Fall/Winter months try to get out for observing once per month at Alice Holt Forest with whom they have a specifc arrangement.

Cheers, Geof

Thanks Geof, I’ll look into joining them, I’m always down at Alice holt with my kids so might be a nice change to go with adults ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hi Leon,

I'm in Walton-on-Thames but we have been observing near Bignor recently so you are welcome to join us there when we go if you want?

Stu

Thanks Stu, let me know when you are planning the next trip and I’ll try to come along for sure. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 20:24, skybadger said:

Basing stoke astro are still active but mostly over zoom.. two monthly meetings and informal whatsapp keeps  everyone connected. 

Skybadger are you a member of Basingstoke astro, if so have you any idea when they might be having there meet ups again. I'm new to astronomy and it would be good to pop along and get some info from experienced guys.