Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 - Ring Nebula

My 2nd ever Narrowband image.
This image, like all my images probably this year, will be all shot on one night.  I'm doing this simply so I can practice learning imaging and processing quicker.
If and when I get more confident, and patient I'll start going for longer imaging sessions, generating hours and hour of data before processing.

This was an image I shot last night (29/10/18) over Chorley, northern UK.
Ha, OIII and SII @170s x 14
Flats x 14 (for all filters  @30k ADU)
Darks x 10 
Bias x 236

All stacked in DSS and adjusted in PS.

Taken on a Skywatcher 200p, with ASI 1600MM-Pro on NEQ6 Mount.

Such a tiny little thing, I'd love to go back to this in the future, possibly with a barlow lens and some much longer exposures. 
Anyway, hope you like it.

M57 Ring Nebula.jpg

A very good effort with just limited NB data.  I think this target really benefits from LRGB data, with the NB used to just tease out the very faint stuff, particularly the surrounding shell, which needs a ton of Ha to get.

Good image though, and well worth keeping this data and adding to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Wiu-Wiu said:

I was doing a search on the asi 1600MM pro and 1.25" filters - as I am also looking into these but am a bit worried about vignetting. 

How has this been working out for you? 

TBH I've not had much issue with it, I've had an issue with amp glow tho, that's disappointing... but the calibration frames do remove that.
When I was just using the DSLR I was having huge issues with vignetting and white out.   So, going for the ASI + NB filters was a good choice.
IF you can afford bigger, its always recommended... because you never know, you may get a faster scope and the bigger ones would be better.

amp glow with a cooled camera? ? I thought this was just why they are cooled? 

Could it have to do with it being new to you? I mean: setting ISO on a DSLR or gain on an ASI are a whole new thing and it might be a normal error for new users? I wouldn't know what setting would be the best one, tbh. 

I always find this target one of the most amazing things in the sky - when you think of the chance that we had to not be at the necessary specific angle to see it as we do it is amazing.  I've managed to find it a couple of time and it really is one of my favorite things up there.

21 hours ago, JOC said:

I always find this target one of the most amazing things in the sky - when you think of the chance that we had to not be at the necessary specific angle to see it as we do it is amazing.  I've managed to find it a couple of time and it really is one of my favorite things up there.

Mine too. When I saw it first, only in August this year with my new (2nd hand) 12” newt, I shouted out loud and dragged my wife and friends out of the cottage to have a look.

I must finish writing up and post my August sessions, it was that 12” ‘s first light too.

Archived