Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What to do with an All Sky Camera??

Peje

This week I knocked up an all sky camera, it's basically a 12MP Fisheye camera inside a waterproof box. It seems to give a reasonable picture, not amazing but I do have the option to drop back to a 5MP variant which features larger pixels... but that's not something I'm too worried bout right now.

Sky.png.bb7898ee62cd0b5c8a599576b0e8cc51.png

My problems is that all of the software I can find to analyse video seems to want either frames grabbed from an analogue source or a USB camera. It seems strange that IP cameras haven't broken into this area since they are so readily available.

Does anyone know of software to utilise live video, probably over RTSP in either MJPEG or h.264, to do something Astro related? I'm thinking:

- Meteors
- Aurora
- Lightening

Anything else?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

20 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I use a all sky camera to monitor cloud/rain activity via VNC during my imaging sessions.

Yes, this was my primary desire. I used to have 4 separate cameras but a fisheye made more sense.

It just seems that with such good resolution I could be doing something more with it.

3 minutes ago, Peje said:

Very cool, I've dropped them an email to see if they support pulling a live stream over RTSP.

I have a plan in mind to use my Skycam and (perhaps) this software (at the beginnig until I write something myself) and designed circuits and sensors to automatically stop my exposures if clouds roll in and (if need be) automatically close my observatory in the event of it starting to rain during an imaging session.

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

I have a plan in mind to use my Skycam and (perhaps) this software and designed circuits and sensors to automatically stop my exposures if clouds roll in and (if need be) automatically close my observatory in the event of it starting to rain during an imaging session.

They list a driver on their website to do exactly that.

http://www.mcdougalltech.com/page8/page8.html

Archived