sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Two questions if I may.

1. Can the three screws marked by yellow arrows in the picture below be used to mount a second finder shoe on the C11 EDGE HD scope, permitting both a straight through and a right angle finder to be fitted?

2. The EDGE has field flattening optics inside; is the distance from the visual back to the chip critical, or by making adjustments to the position of the mirror to achieve focus on a chip say 250mm away from the visual back mean the field will still be flat at that distance?

Thanks.

James

1403552194_C11screws.png.0ecb66fea6293b80564780a1788293ad.png

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jambouk said:

1. Can the three screws marked by yellow arrows in the picture below be used to mount a second finder shoe on the C11 EDGE HD scope, permitting both a straight through and a right angle finder to be fitted?

I don't know about the C11, but on the C8, any screws in that position (domed head, not countersunk) can be used to attach whatever you like. That's what they are there for.  My C8 has a red dot finder (straight through, mostly for aligning the GoTo) and a RACI finder (not always fitted, used with planetary imaging).  If you fit a RACI you do not need a straight through as well? Straight through finders are a pain in the neck unless only required for aligning your GoTo.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By teoria_del_big_bang
      Last night started off so clear (an unexpected according to CO) so managed to drag the rig out onto the patio. 
      Nebula targets that are above houses and trees are few and far between at moment for me but ad a go at Horsehead initially then Heart.
      But I was not happy with the images I was getting and a close look showed the focus was not precise, in fact far from it.
      So using the auto focuser in EKOS I tried tuning it in.
      But each time I tried it failed.
      I did look on line for suggested parameters and that was not too useful as  there were suggestions to use just about every combination possible.
      Now, maybe there is a wide range of parameters being used and which you find best may depend on camera and FL of the scope setup, I think I do not understand the mechanism of auto focusing enough, I sort of assumed it just moved the focusser in and out to get  the star it had chosen as small as it would go.
      One thing I did find is that even after trying many different parameters already suggested as the best on-line if the stars had halos due to being a fair way out of focus it never achieved focus at all and basically I ended up manually focusing inwards for a while to see if the image got better, then if not move it outwards, until the stars were pretty much in focus and then an auto focus did pretty well and got the stars pin point.
      So is that what other people find ?
      Is that pretty normal for most auto focus algorithms ?
      Also I thought this might be a good place for people to maybe say what  parameters they use in EKOS and mention the scope and camera if that is relevant ?
      If there is somewhere with this info I apologize profusely 🙂 
      Steve

• By Planetarian
      Hi, I've got a Skywatcher Heritage 130p reflector, and if i insert anything less than 10mm eyepiece, the image won't get crisp. I guess it's normal, but as I'm very new to astronomy, I'd like to know what the sharpness depends on exactly. 
      Is that the focal length (how fast the telescope is? ) or the size of the mirror and how much light it gathers? Or both affect it the same way?  
      Are things the same with refractors in this regard? Thanks. 
    • By AstroRookie
      Hello,
      I'm getting desperate over this hobby (but I refuse to give up); with every change new problems set in. I purchased a SVBONY SV106 (60mm - 240mm) guide scope to replace a 80mm - 400mm scope, I was using as a guide scope which was installed on the Orion 8 tube rings. I replaced the finder scope with the guide scope.
      First issue balancing but that one I sorted out. Then I tried to focus the ASI120MM with the new guide scope. For the old  one (80x400) , I needed 2 extensions (in fact the extensions are low cost barlows from which I removed the plastic lens) to get focus. To align the new guide scope, I used a 17mm eyepiece and that went ok while pointing at some far away trees. But I could not get the ASI120MM focused on the same trees, not with PHD2 nor with Firecapture; I turned the gain way down, but with or without extensions, no focus. As bad weather is (again) setting in and the scope is permanently outside I had to stop trying.
      So I take on this break to get some assistance.  Anybody any advice on this, for
      AstroRookie
    • By Dario
      Hi everyone!
      As I said few days ago in my presentation I recently got my first scope  (skywatcher 127) and over the last days I tried to test It.
      Due to impossibility (temporary) to bring the scope in a decent location to make observations, I had to test it from home through a window  (and under the sky of London - not the best at all). So i know that quality is of course affected.
      On the other hand, I am sure that the performances are worse than I could expect also under these conditions (maybe you will correct me) and would asks for opinions to improve.
      As a (mainly) planetary scope, I did not have a lot of choice: no Moon, Jupiter and Saturn out of my field of view. I pointed at Mars.
      First sight, I see the very big central obstruction. I played with the knob of the focus to get rid of the big black spot in the centre of my target and here you are the issues that I would like to talk about:
      1) the target became very small (ok) but still was not focus  (very blurry and not a lot of clues to get atleast the shape of the planet well defined - can imagine to find any detail on it )
      2) Also the colours did not convince me as no other colour than a light yellow was visible
      3) Changing the eyepiece  (10 instead of 25) for a magnification of 150x did not improve the situation: probably the image was even worse, more blurry with more irregular shape than before, no ability to focus at all. Differences from before : bigger (but still much smaller than expected) and very little variation in colours (I believe I saw a bit of orange).
      To complete, later, I tried the scope to stars: Orion costellation was visible from my place and tried to all the stars. Although still a bit blurry  (the brightest stars), I had impression of more sharp view, differentiation in colour and better shape  (stars almost like a dot). Moreover, to give you a final idea, Mars (at the best focus I could get) did not appear that much bigger than Betelguese.
      What do you think I can do to get better results? Could be a scope problem or some adjustments needed? Unfortunately I have no comparisons. 
      Thank you, Hope I was not too long 😅
    • By JimFR
      I’ve just acquired the above (birthday prezzie!).
      It’s a nice finder, and a definite boost from the 7x30 bundled with the scope!
      However, I’m struggling to get anywhere near focus with my Pentax K50 on the end of it... anyone know why? There’s no focus mechanism to speak of, other than the objective lens’ mounting thread...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.