Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

need some imperial bolts in metric land

fozzybear

Ok, a bit of a dilemma I need some 1/4 inch whitworth bolts of various head configurations and here in france only metric available either I convert and tap to metric or convert bolts from metric to imperial with a 1/4 inch whitworth die is this possible? 0.25inch =6.35mm so if I re die a 6mm will there there be to much play? how long have we been metric yet stil use inch's even in my game over here in france yet trying to get hold of imperial nuts and bolts a nightmare or expensive

regards

Andy

Ian's offer seems a much more sensible way to do it to be honest :)  I can't imagine re-cutting metric threads working very well.

The only other possibility I can think of is contacting some of the UK sellers on ebay that do Whitworth nuts and bolts and see if they'll ship to France.

James

Ian

My problem it would be on a need basis I am greatful for your help at the moment I know I need some 1/4 inch bolts but at what length I do not know at this stage thus asking the question as ordering a few bits and when they arrive I do not know what length bolts and head type I need thus my question as and when they arrive.

Ian greatly appreciate you offering to source for me thank you

Wish we had the good old ironmonger store over here you could get anything....

andy

22 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Andy,

What sizes, heads and how many do you need? Depending on quantities I could get them and post to you. Wouldn’t be able to do until Friday, are you in a big rush?

PM me.

Ian a typical Lancashire lad helping out  I used to live dare I say it in Manchester, Urmston ex lanc lad also

thank you for the offer.

I would just go to a local fastener shop. If you went with a couple of different lengths and heads you could cut them to length with a hacksaw.

Give is a clue as to what ones and I will post at cost. They are great at supplying ones and twos of anything. I always use them for scope/ astronomy bolts.

Your last post made me laugh, I do live in Lancs but hale from Norn Ireland ?, however I used to live on Urmston myself for a while.

22 hours ago, Uplooker said:

I would just go to a local fastener shop. If you went with a couple of different lengths and heads you could cut them to length with a hacksaw.

Give is a clue as to what ones and I will post at cost. They are great at supplying ones and twos of anything. I always use them for scope/ astronomy bolts.

Your last post made me laugh, I do live in Lancs but hale from Norn Ireland ?, however I used to live on Urmston myself for a while.

I am 300km's away from home working overnight so let you know Tomorrow Wednesday evening cheers

I am fortunate to live 400 yards from the warehouse of Rapid Electronics Ltd that offer Internet mail order but also have a public counter. Its range of electrical accessories, tools, meters and also nuts, bolts, screws, washers, spacers and similar is astonishing. I have not looked up if they have these specific bolts. But I recommend that anybody into DIY astronomy or electronics or any hobby requring tiny or hard to source components should save their on-line catalogue as a 'favourite'. Amazon UK also offer remarkable range of oddball stuff if you know what to Internet search for. By contrast, Rapid's call centre will help you identify a component from a description; handy if you don't know a grub screw from a rawlbolt like me.

1/4" threaded stuff is possible to get on ebay or amazon.   I know that Europe is metricated these days, pretty much everywhere.   However, I'm fairly sure that I'm right in guessing this will be for mounting Cameras, as they tend to use 1/4" Whitworth threads for the main connection to a ballhead/tripod etc.   Worst case scenario is to get a good quality thread cutter and make your own!

I have had some success by going to agricultural machine stockists, such as those who stock and support American tractors etc. Some of these can be a bit "tell us the part number and we'll stock it" while others have been extremely helpful and let me rummage through their stocks with them.  I was after UNC and UNF bolts at the time.

I have also had some success using Amazon (usually UK version).

Where in France are you? I have a box of odd non-metric screws that can occasionally yield fruit. I also have a range of dies and could possibly give the rethreading idea a try.

David
in the Aude

Archived