Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

PhotoGav

Caroline's Rose - LRGB

It is rather fitting that yesterday I went to Bath with my wife and daughter; while the girls were in the shops, I snuck away to 19 New King Street and visited The Herschel Museum of Astronomy, located in the house where William and Caroline Herschel lived and worked before moving to Slough. It is a fascinating tour, though quite small, so you won't need all day for the visit! So, it is rather fitting that I present to you my version of NGC 7789, Caroline's Rose, discovered in 1783 by Caroline Herschel from that very house in Bath. It is a magnificent cluster located some 7,600 light years away from Earth in the constellation of Cassiopeia. It is a dense cluster of stars about 1.6 billion years old. To me it seems to be edging towards a globular cluster, or at least it looks that way. It is of course significantly younger than a glob, though is pretty old for a cluster, and is in the rich star fields of the Milky Way, not orbiting in the halo of the galaxy like most globular clusters. It is quite possibly the most starry of star pictures that I have taken so far!

CarolinesRose-LRGB-04-Flat.thumb.png.0685ed43ea5182b6d4f84cc0badd7088.png

Technical details:

Skywatcher Esprit100 ED, QSI 683-WSG, HEQ5 Pro, Baader 1.25" filters

L, R, G & B = 18 x 600s each
Total = 12 hours

I am generally happy with this image, the stars are nice and tight, though there is an annoying halo around the brigh star top left, Rho Cass. I think that it is generally a pretty dusty area, which could explain some of that and other softer brighter areas, or it might be down to the Baader filters - do I hear those Astrodons calling me yet again?!!?

I hope you like it and as always, I look forward to your comments.

Clear skies and enjoy these earlier and earlier dark evenings!

• Like 20

Very nice Gav, went there many years ago so due another visit, very nice garden as I recall, coincidently I'll be trying to image Uranus later.

Dave

• Like 1

That is really nice Gav. 7789 is one of those targets that always looks better at the eyepiece than to the camera, but I reckon you have really done it justice here, and nicely separated out the different coloured stars.

• Like 1

Lovely image.  Seeing such an incredible density of stars brings to mind Olbers' Paradox :)

James

• Like 2

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. 

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Very nice image.... what great star density.

It is heaving isn’t it!

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Gav, went there many years ago so due another visit, very nice garden as I recall, coincidently I'll be trying to image Uranus later.

Good luck with Uranus, I look forward to seeing the pictures soon!

41 minutes ago, Tim said:

That is really nice Gav. 7789 is one of those targets that always looks better at the eyepiece than to the camera, but I reckon you have really done it justice here, and nicely separated out the different coloured stars.

Thanks Tim, I know what you mean about images of clusters vs the eyepiece view. Images do have the colour advantage though! ? This is the first of a run of clusters for me, I will be visiting the three Aurigan Messier clusters through November and December - hopefully!

23 minutes ago, Joeistotalycool said:

Amazing image! I would love to capture something like that. How dark were your skies?

Thank you. My skies are pretty good despite being in a market town in Wiltshire. I’ve just measured tonight’s sky with DarkSkyMeter on my iPhone and it registered 20.03. ClearOutside says I’m Bortle 4. I can normally see the Milky Way. Tonight seems to be pretty good too... at least until that cheeky Moon appears!

19 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Lovely image.  Seeing such an incredible density of stars brings to mind Olbers' Paradox :)

Thanks James, I had to look that up, didn’t know it was Olber that pondered that question. Every day’s a school day! It is a good question to ponder too! Answers on a postcard...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

It is heaving isn’t it!

Quite ?

• Like 1

Lovely image Gavin! A heck of a lot of stars in there aren't there!! Very nice star colours too. I noticed the halo around that star, it's odd that it is a blue halo around an orange star, no? There is a slight blue halo in a similar orientation around the blue star nearby, which suggests perhaps the Baaders are to blame?

This is such a different view to what I've seen visually; from memory it shows fine swirls of stars in a definite rose shape against a relatively sparse background. Quite amazing how much more you are able to pull out through imaging, although perhaps it would not have got the same name if discovered this way?

Lovely image, and I really must get to that museum sometime.

• Like 1

My goodness...... what a plethora of stars!!!! Good on you for this, I'm sure it's a pig to process with all those stars! I can't help thinking that the blues would benefit from a little tweak to separate them from the yellower stars a little more :) 

• Like 1

thats a beaut image and a some what dense starfield :thumbright:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geoflewis said:

What beautiful image...!!

Thank you Geof!

18 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely image Gavin! A heck of a lot of stars in there aren't there!! Very nice star colours too. I noticed the halo around that star, it's odd that it is a blue halo around an orange star, no? There is a slight blue halo in a similar orientation around the blue star nearby, which suggests perhaps the Baaders are to blame?

This is such a different view to what I've seen visually; from memory it shows fine swirls of stars in a definite rose shape against a relatively sparse background. Quite amazing how much more you are able to pull out through imaging, although perhaps it would not have got the same name if discovered this way?

Lovely image, and I really must get to that museum sometime.

Thanks Stu - I'd love to say it was taken with my iPhone 7, but alas... my skills aren't up to much with the phone yet!! Temptation in the form of new Astrodons (other brands are available...) is certainly winking at me right now. I haven't looked at this cluster through a telescope yet - I really must. I did wonder about the 'rose' naming, I can sort of see some darkish patches, but there are just so many stars it's not hugely obvious.

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

My goodness...... what a plethora of stars!!!! Good on you for this, I'm sure it's a pig to process with all those stars! I can't help thinking that the blues would benefit from a little tweak to separate them from the yellower stars a little more :) 

Thanks Sara. Amazingly, this was a dream to process, I've hardly done anything to it - integration, gradient removal, RGB combination, DPP of both RGB and the SuperLum (my new favourite trick in APP, stack the whole damn lot together into one SuperLum integration - marvellous!) and Star Colour Correction all in APP. Then hardly anything in PhotoShop - HLVG, Noel's DeepSpaceNR and a slight tweak of the Curves. I kept on staring at it in PS, wanting to tinker more, but it wasn't asking for anything, so I posted it. I know what you mean about 'strengthening' the blues to make them stand out a bit more. I tend not to go far down the colour 'popping' route, but I might well have a little go on this one.

39 minutes ago, toxic said:

thats a beaut image and a some what dense starfield :thumbright:

Thanks Chris - oooh yes, dense!

• Like 2

Amazing, you’ve not imaged TMA-2 by any chance? 

(I hope you are an Arthur C Clarke fan)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Amazing, you’ve not imaged TMA-2 by any chance? 

(I hope you are an Arthur C Clarke fan)

Err, unfortunately I am not enough of a fan to get your reference. I had to look up TMA-2 and discovered that you are either talking about: 2,4,5-trimethoxyamphetamine, a hallucinogenic drug, Soyuz TMA-2, the Russian mission to the ISS in 2003, the TMA-2 mine, a Yugoslavian anti-tank mine, or Tycho Magnetic Anomaly-2 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Given your reference to Arthur C Clarke, I am confident that you aren't on about drugs, the Russians or mines! However, I still have no idea what you are actually on about!!!!!!!

Edited by PhotoGav
  • Haha 1

"My God its full of stars" is from the book, not sure that line is  in the film script though

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

"My God its full of stars" is from the book, not sure that line is  in the film script though

Ah ha! Thank you for the clarification. Yes, it certainly is!!

Also I stand corrected, there are youtube vids covering this and it was also in the film.

Great AP by the way

• Like 1

Sorry Gav, it was perhaps a little obscure, it was indeed the last words of David Bowman heard by Mission Control before he disappeared into the Stargate. Definitely  an apt description for your image.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

Also I stand corrected, there are youtube vids covering this and it was also in the film.

Great AP by the way

Thank you!

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Sorry Gav, it was perhaps a little obscure, it was indeed the last words of David Bowman heard by Mission Control before he disappeared into the Stargate. Definitely  an apt description for your image.

I will have to watch the film again and pay more attention this time!! Anyway, now I understand what you were on about.... yes, I think I might have found and imaged TMA-2!!!!