Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended eyepieces for a 152mm f/4.8 Maksutov-Newtonian

Coma of a Maksutov-Newton (pink)  is about half of that of a Schmidt-Newton (orange) and a third of the coma of an ordinary Newton (yellow). The secondary of a Mak-Newt is very small, and contrast in the smaller details is very high. 

Get high quality eyepieces to benefit from all that. 

The spot diagrams for the Newton and the Schmidt-Newton are shown only  up to 20 mm from the optical axis. At 30 mm they become very bad. The Mak-Newt, 30 mm off axis, compares quite well to the Newton 10 mm off axis. The widest field stops in 2" eyepieces reach about 24 mm from the optical axis.

These are all 200mm f/4 systems.

maknewt.thumb.png.35de0521d5776340e728297ecfe2a9eb.png

Looking at US prices $400 doesn't go as far as I thought so I would probably start by looking at the BST Starguiders in 5, 8 and 12mm and Explore Scientific 68° eyepieces at longer focal lengths. You could also pick up three of APM's Ultra Flat Field eyepieces for $400.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying a Baader 8x24 zoom to start off with.  Then my plan is to go to star parties and star trying out what works and what does not.

Thanks for your help.  being new to armature astronomy EVERYTHING is new and I have been having fun learning lots of new stuff along the way only to realize there is SO much more to learn. 

Archived