Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

Edski2000

Recommended eyepieces for a 152mm f/4.8 Maksutov-Newtonian

New user, looking for good quality eyepieces for the Comet Hunter to cover deep space, planet's and lunar viewing.  400.00 price range total

Do you have a link to scope please?

Edited by bomberbaz

Ok found the OTA at Harrison telescopes. Intrigued about this and will be following closely.  I am not sure how the corrector lens works in conjunction with the newt mirrors so will be really interested to find out. 

Coma of a Maksutov-Newton (pink)  is about half of that of a Schmidt-Newton (orange) and a third of the coma of an ordinary Newton (yellow). The secondary of a Mak-Newt is very small, and contrast in the smaller details is very high. 

Get high quality eyepieces to benefit from all that. 

The spot diagrams for the Newton and the Schmidt-Newton are shown only  up to 20 mm from the optical axis. At 30 mm they become very bad. The Mak-Newt, 30 mm off axis, compares quite well to the Newton 10 mm off axis. The widest field stops in 2" eyepieces reach about 24 mm from the optical axis.

These are all 200mm f/4 systems.

maknewt.thumb.png.35de0521d5776340e728297ecfe2a9eb.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at US prices $400 doesn't go as far as I thought so I would probably start by looking at the BST Starguiders in 5, 8 and 12mm and Explore Scientific 68° eyepieces at longer focal lengths. You could also pick up three of APM's Ultra Flat Field eyepieces for $400.

That’s my dream scope seen some brilliant reviews lately. Good luck!