SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Reverting back to Visual

astro mick

Hi.

Have any of you imagers past or present thought about packing this imaging lark up and gone or are going back to visual.

Did you sell your gear to fund a bigger better visual scope.If you did, did you at a later date regret doing so,and then had to build your imaging kit again at more expense. 

I often think like this BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interested in any stories.

Mick.

Hi Dave.

Yes i,ve tried and still do that,but in the UK having two set-ups running outside,always looking for clouds/rain then try and get them both way is a pain.

If i know its defo going to be clear all night,but in the UK no chance.

Mick.

I too have two setups. One for travelling to dark sites and the other, more permanent,  in my ROR Shed.

The mistake I made when I built my ROR Shed was have the power points on the floor next to the peir. I am currently looking for some wood to build a small platform so as to be able to stand over the power points and visually observe.

I do have a 8" Newt and NEQ6 for when I visit dark sites for viewing only :)

I'm in your position atm, I have an imaging set-up comprising a good refractor, camera, mount etc but have just purchased a 10 inch dob for visual and considered many times selling the imaging gear and getting a large(ish) scope for visual - probably a dob and an eq platform to save all the nudging. There are a number of fairly light weight (physical) dobs around... It's just making that jump!

I may have the best of both worlds - I like imaging (well most of the time!) whilst hubby prefers observing.  I do my imaging (with Joe's help from time to time) in a Pulsar whilst Joe sets his 12" Dob outside for observing!!  This has however created a large black hole in our finances!!

Annie

Archived