Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Neptune

Jarvo

Hi All. 

The tests continue with the new camera - this time I wanted to see if I could 1) see Neptune visually for the first time (mission accomplished  :) ) and 2) then have a go at capturing it with the camera.

The cameras sensor is really sensitive and everything is really bright - I was surprised at just how bright Neptune was on the screen. Colour was also evident watching it on the viewer.

With the aperture I have I won't be seeing any details on the surface but will try and capture Triton in future captures.

Happy to get a reasonable disk and colour for now though.

Had all sorts of difficulties using Registax 5 (couldn't load avis, processing in B/W) reckon its not happy with the new laptop I have so downloaded 6 which worked better though I need to go back  to school with this version.

Might try and get it at least bit more in the centre next time. The learning  continues :)

Kit used:

Skywatcher 150mm Maksutov-Cassegrain
2 x Apo Barlow

QHY5-III 290C camera with IR filter

Capture software: Sharpcap
Stack size: 500 / 937
Processing software: Register 6
Post processing (limited): Gimp

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Neptune 26102018 ii(processed).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent capture Steve, some nice colour visible.

Neptune is never going to look very exciting I guess, but always nice to capture either of the two distant gas giants. I do know somebody that capture some "white" spots on the disc last year, but he is using a 444mm aperture.

Archived