Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
OldManJ

Celestron Nexstar 130SLT and TheSkyX GOTO Setup

I am considering purchasing the https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-130slt-computerized-telescope for my son for XMAS.  I want the Go To functionality and I have looked into software and know I will want TheStarX software to point to objects in the sky.  My question is what do I need to get this to work?  How do I connect the telescope to my network so my computer can talk to it?

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. Before you go and purchase TheStarX have you looked at Stellarium or Carte du Ciel ? . Both are free and equally capable of controlling the Celestron SLT mount.

Thanks.  Do they need any special equipment to hook it up?

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

Definitely appreciate your help and input

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spriggs
      Hello,
      I'm looking to get myself a new telescope to get back outside and looking up. I currently have a Celestron Astromaster 130eq, however, I do not use it as much as it broke in a way where the mount and knobs cannot be fixed. I did enjoy using it, but now I am looking for a more convenient scope to use. I'm looking at smaller goto scopes around $400. I want to be able to take it with me anywhere, set it up in minutes, and get to observing without much hassle (punch in an object and have it be tracked). I'm currently looking at the two scopes below:
      Celestron NexStar 4se 
      Celestron NexStar 130 SLT
      I realized the 130 is the same size as my current scope, but with its goto factor, I feel like I would use it a lot more. The 4se is very appealing due to its small form factor. In addition to the Solar System, I would like to be able to see some DSOs. As for the price, $400 is my comfort zone at the moment, but I'll consider going up or down based on recommendations. If anyone has any experience with the scopes above, or has a recommendation, please share your input. I would love to hear it as I really want to get back outside and observing. 
      Thanks,
      Spriggs

• By Cosmic Geoff
      At around 14.35 GMT today I observed Venus, Mercury and Jupiter, with my 127mm Mak SLT GoTo.
      Venus was a large, very thin crescent, trembly in poor seeing. Mercury was easy to see once I got my eye in, and Jupiter was easier to pick out with a red filter. 
      Mercury and Jupiter are now not far apart. (7min RA 3 deg Dec.)
      The visibility of Mercury seems dependent on atmospheric clarity.  On several days recently I looked for it but could not see it.
    • By Robert6256
      I just recently took a teaching position at a local community college. We have a virtually mint Celestron Nexstar 8 that, as far as I can tell, has had almost no use. Probably because of this, the center support post and accessory tray are missing. I don't need the tray, and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability, but the post does. I am trying to fabricate a new one (we have the machining capability to do it here), but I need some help with dimensions. Specifically, the thread of the post at the top where the rod enters the mounting plate of the scope, and the length of the rod. The rest I can make work.
      Thanks for any help you can provide!

Robert
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Aided by GoTo, I observed Venus in daylight this afternoon.  It is only a few days from inferior conjunction (26th) and appears as a large thin crescent.  It's in an unfavorable position for Northern nocturnal observers and appeared almost below the Sun.  I could not see Mercury (which should have been accessible).
      And before you comment, I checked carefully where the 127mm Mak was pointing before putting my eye to the eyepiece.😲

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.