Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
OldManJ

Celestron Nexstar 130SLT and TheSkyX GOTO Setup

I am considering purchasing the https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-130slt-computerized-telescope for my son for XMAS.  I want the Go To functionality and I have looked into software and know I will want TheStarX software to point to objects in the sky.  My question is what do I need to get this to work?  How do I connect the telescope to my network so my computer can talk to it?

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. Before you go and purchase TheStarX have you looked at Stellarium or Carte du Ciel ? . Both are free and equally capable of controlling the Celestron SLT mount.

Thanks.  Do they need any special equipment to hook it up?

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

Definitely appreciate your help and input

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      I recently acquired a used CPC800 SCT. I thought a 'First Light' report might be of interest.
      First impressions: the tripod is a heavy duty affair with thick legs, a folding lower spreader and a big cast alloy eyepiece tray/steady.  The OTA/fork assembly (not separable) is very heavy (21Kg/44lbs) but has a couple of grab handles. You need to be fit to handle this. 😕 (I was seriously tempted not to go ahead with the purchase after trying the weight.)
      With the legs retracted it is just possible to pass the tripod through a standard doorway, but it is just as easy to pull up the lower spreader and carry it folded. It is much heavier than a C8SE tripod but more comparable with a EQ5 tripod in weight.  Once in position, I checked the level with the handy built-in bubble level and left it.  I forgot to screw up the eyepiece tray/upper spreader but I don't think this made any difference. 
      Scope stored on a table with faceplate down and rear handle uppermost. Took the weight with my left arm, elbow fully bent, forearm vertical.  Got it on the tripod which took the weight till I got the base to drop over the centre pin, spun it till something clicked into place and then did up the three thumbscrews.   I would not try this with an equatorial wedge unless I had a helper.   Celestron also sell a CPC 9.25 and CPC1100 - if I had one of those I'd need a sheerlegs or a brawny assistant.😲
      Fitted the visual back (same as C8 SE), prism diagonal (same as C8 SE), straight-thru 50mm finder, handset (Nexstar+) and handset bracket which holds it facing rearwards (a handy feature not implemented on the C8 SE). Fitted a 25mm X-Cel LX that came as an extra.
      Connected my new lithium powertank and its DC cable, and powered up. It comes ready (CPC Ready) very quickly. Selected 2-star auto align - it whizzed past a time display showing the time ahead of my watch by 1 hour - more on this later.  Aimed at Arcturus and afjusted the finder aim. Selected Capella - it nearly got there and then blackout!  The cable had snagged and pulled on the plug. I ran the cable through the side handle on the fork and tried again.  (It appears that the CPC's supplied cable has a locking ring and the other end has a cigarette lighter style plug.) Capella ... Arcturus .. aligned.  Told it to find Mizar (named star menu).  It did. 
      Also found M48, the Ghost of Jupiter planetary, Gamma Leo (split ), 54 leo, 88 Leo, 90Leo.  The scope appears to be collimated and resolution OK.  GoTo is just accurate enough to drop doubles into the bottom of 9mm X-Cel Lx field.  Even at 200x and a gusty night the view is rock steady. A pier mount could hardly be stiffer than this! And no obvious backlash in use (unlike C8 SE).
      Fiddled with the menu, found the GPS is obviously working, and the time set for daylight saving.   Corrected it to standard time. GoTo still works.
      Teardown: tube horizontal, power off, tube cap on, diagonal off, handset and bracket off, left visual back on and capped it, loosened clutch to point tube straight down.  Got OTA/fork assembly off and back indoors on table, twirled it into position.  Folded up tripod and carried it indoors. I would not try carrying the tripod and scope together.
      Verdict: Very solid mount should be good for planetary imaging.  Some nice features not on C8 SE, otherwise same optical performance.  Alarming weight.
    • By BATUHAN DERELI
      Hello ,
      I am physics student in Turkey . I have used telescopes but they were manual mount because  of that  I do not have any experiences with GO TO  mounts . I upload photos  and I pressed alignment button before finding 3 or 2 stars .  Still  ı did not  find any stars from  catalog  . I really watched many  videos but I did not do it well  my  process  still not  continue . 12 photos  I upload , first  photo teleskop , last photo is the  my  last step ,  which button should  I have press? 

• By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      Having had difficulty in aligning and never actually managing to get my AVX to track to the standard I know it can, is the Celestron StarSense gadget the answer? 
      I know I can align my scope accurately if I put the effort in and having moved last year I’ve been unable to have my mount fixed on a pier so I’m seriously considering this piece of kit as an easier way to align and to motivate me to get out more often.
      Please share your thoughts.....
      Adaaam75
    • By PaulaElizabeth
      Hi, newbie at using a telescope. 
      I have recently got a Celestron astromaster 130eq. I finally got chance to use it last week viewing the moon, I got some brilliant views and images. Using the 20mm erecting eyepiece and 10mm eyepiece that came with the telescope. (Pictures below to show that all was fine)
      I also have a 6mm plossl eyepiece, 15m Kellner eyepiece, 2x Barlow, and red, blue and moon filters. 
      This morning with it been clear and Jupiter and Venus is clear view I Set up my telescope as normal, got the planets into view on my telescope used the 20mm eyepiece to clarify it was In view and it was just the a small white dot which I expected. So I started to reduce down the eyepieces to get a closer view and as I was slowly trying to focus all I could see was the secondary mirror in the lense. I tried a range of my different lenses to try and get it into focus even starting at the 20mm and working my way down and I just couldn’t see anything without the secondary mirror housing in view.
      at one point I could see something behind the secondary mirror image however I couldn’t make out what it was despite trying to focus slowly in and out. Looking at forums and advice could it be that I’ve actually locked on to a star which is further away hence why I can’t focus. Please help. 

• By Kronos831
      Heyyy its me again! Today me and my friend went out to observe! We spotted the moon and focused on it,took some okay pictures with my phone without an adapter( that means having to hold up my phone over the eyepiece 's tiny  hole). Then we tried moving towards mars, relatively close to the moon. It wanst a dot but like a small circle with some colour, afterwards we moved towards stars,but instead of seeing these circles with the secondary s reflection in the middle, we saw small circles (like mars but smaller) they were green blue and red coloured i didn't think much of it but then i checked the mirror. And i saw some dust.... Pics bellow.Is it the mirror or is this normal? Also if its the mirror, how do i clean it without removing it, i have a celestron firstscope btw. 
      Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.