Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 130SLT and TheSkyX GOTO Setup

I am considering purchasing the https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-130slt-computerized-telescope for my son for XMAS.  I want the Go To functionality and I have looked into software and know I will want TheStarX software to point to objects in the sky.  My question is what do I need to get this to work?  How do I connect the telescope to my network so my computer can talk to it?

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

All you will need is this Serial RS232 cable plus a good quality USB-serial adapter to connect it to your laptop. Stellarium has its own internal mount drivers so doesn't require any other software. Carte du Ciel (CdC) requires the Ascom Platform plus the Ascom Celestron mount drivers to give you mount control. Both planetarium programmes have their followers, CdC has less system overheads and Stellarium looks like a realistic night sky and is simpler.  

Definitely appreciate your help and input

Archived