Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wizard Nebula - Bi colour

wornish

15 minutes ago, don4l said:

The APP version looks far better to me.

The two versions are scaled differently.  Do you know why this is?  (I haven't used either package)

I took two sessions to get the data and the alignment was out quite a bit. So I had to rotate and crop get the final result.  

I think the different crops when resized to the same pixel dimensions for the final image account for the scaling.

I agree the APP image looks better for such a low number of frames.

I also used Dark Flats instead of Bias Frames for the APP version.  

The author of APP says they work better for CMOS cameras and I think the evidence supports it on my limited data.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on these two images without knowing what settings were used in both packages.

There is a huge difference of scale between the two images.  There is also a rotational difference.

Assuming that the same data went into both images, then I suspect that the settings in both are very different.

The exact same Ha and OIII light frames and Master Darks were used in each image, but the other frames were different.

I am not going to jump to any conclusion as to which program is best.  They are very different to use.

APP is the new one to watch but PI is a very solid workhorse that can do amazing things in the right hands.

At the end of the day I need to capture a lot more data to reach the standards of some on here.  But not having an observatory and having to set up and take down each time in the wonderful UK weather makes that challenging.  Keeps me occupied though.

Archived