Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

oldannie

Should my NEQ6 have this much rersistance when balancing

My first attempt at imaging using a CCD showed a number of errors - poor focusing (my own fault for settling for 'good enough'!) and quite a lot of  trailing so am going to be much more pedantic about everything next time I image.  I've re-organised my cables and want  to make sure everything is balanced.  However when I tried to balance the scope the mount showed a lot of resistance so it's difficult to tell how accurate I've been - I don't recall it being  as stiff as this the last time. Is this normal for an NEQ 6.?

What do you mean by “stiff when balancing” as when you balance you have the clutches released...so are you saying it is stiff with the clutches released...if so then yes you have a serious issue....

It should show NO resistance... but only with the clutches off.

Edited by RolandKol

Thanks Light Bucket. Clutches fully released  but more resistance than I recall, ie it doesn't swing as freely as I recall it used to.      What might the serious issues be?  have had the mount for some two and a bit years now and having had difficulties with both bolts right from the start  resorted to an NEQ6 Wedge which has been brilliant.

1 minute ago, oldannie said:

Thanks Light Bucket. Clutches fully released  but more resistance than I recall, ie it doesn't swing as freely as I recall it used to.      What might the serious issues be?  have had the mount for some two and a bit years now and having had difficulties with both bolts right from the start  resorted to an NEQ6 Wedge which has been brilliant.

Well first of all the wedge has no bearing on the freeness is the axis, so that is not an issue..

So if the axis are stiff even with clutches off, first of all check that the clutch levers are actually releasing and not sticking..

Secondly the collar at the top of the weight bar, if that is too tight it can stiffen the DEC axis, it should only be tight enough to take out the slack from the bottom tapered bearing, and maybe 1/8th of a turn more, any tighter and you will get stiffness in the DEC axis.

As for the RA axis, that’s a bit more difficult to diagnose, other that the bearings them selves being worn or gunged up with the crap grease that comes with these mounts when new...

Has the mount ever been taken apart and checked over at all....??

Thanks for the video Roland.  It's just that I recall when I used to balance everything moved much more freely that it does now.  It may be that I'm now over re-acting in an effort to get everything 'right' after my first experience of CCD imaging when I don't think I was careful enough!

Can I just ask why you mentioned the adjustment bolts as they have no bearing on the stiffness of the axis when balancing... !

Thanks again Light Bucket.  That's some helpful info.  Will check out what you suggest.  I didn't imagine it could have anything whatsoever to do with the wedge.

Cheers

Annie

Light Bucket - I suppose it was only to indicate that it hasn't been a trouble free mount.  Sorry if I've confused the issue.  I have little relevant knowledge about these issues so it's all a big challenge for me!

To answer your question about  whether the mount has ever been stripped down I did send the mount back shortly after buying it as I couldn't see through the polar scope because of grease marks.  A new one was fitted and I was told it was not unusual to see small amounts of grease in the polar scope.  In any case I don't need it now as I use the very excellent 'Polemaster'!

Thanks again.

Annie

If you loosen off the RA and DEC setting circles with the small thumbscrews, do they turn freely or bind slightly?

If they bind, you may need to strip the mount down and examine the shims. It's probably worth stripping it down anyway to have a look at what the previous owner did (polar scopes shouldn't have grease on).

Nothing is "seriously wrong", as stated above.  The process is simple and is well explained at http://www.astro-baby.com/EQ6 rebuild guide/EQ6 Strip Down Home.htm.

A nice clean and re-grease with TF2 is just the ticket!

Stu

Thanks Stu - I think I may have been over reacting .  I think the resistance is just at one point and I guess the clutches aren't the most sophisticated bit of engineering so it might not be unusual for there to be a sticking point.  However the link will be useful in case a clean and re-grease is needed and I do like astro-baby.  I used her when I set up my first mount the HEQ5 and found her instructions really clear.

Just looked at the link - it's a good one.

Thanks again

Annie

• Like 1

Astro baby is great. I think you should have a go and maybe do a regrease anyway, certainly can't hurt. 

I did the Rowan belt mod at the same time and it's great.

Good luck,

Stu

Thanks Stu - I think once this season has finished I'll have a go.

Annie