Handle for my 9.25 SCT.

Greymouser

Has anyone got any good ideas as to how to improvise another handle on my Celestron 9.25 SCT OTA. It does already have one at the back, but there is little at the front to grab hold of, which makes it difficult to safely mount on my Evolution mount, the balance is just not good enough. I have nearly dropped it twice, which is not good. I could drill a hole and screw an improvised handle on, but I would rather not do this , for several reasons. I feel it should be straight forward, maybe something bought and made for the job, but cannot think of, nor find anything.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated. ?

Fit one of the ADM mini dovetail bars to the top of the OTA and then bolt a handle onto the bar.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-mini-dovetail-series/adm-mini-dovetail-bar-celestron-925.html

Handle

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/3844/tubed-handle-front-mounted-black-wds-8517/

I’ve used these handles on many OTAs. Super strong but not too expensive and look good too.

I screwed a kitchen drawer handle (dont tell my wife) to a pair of alu bars, and covered these ends with rubber tape which give very good friction. Then strapped the whole thing to the OTA. Works perfectly, very stable. Seen in the picture is also a strap at the original handle, I only use that to lift up the OTA from it´s bag, until I can reach the handle itself. (Sorry for the poor picture quality).

Ragnar

handle.jpg.0ca147ae577bc448dfd2cadf080d8ae4.jpg

Archived