Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PoleMaster for Star Adventurer

DonLumioni74

I've tried the QHY5L-ii conversion, which for all intents and purposes is very similar, if not the same thing.

I couldnt get on with manually locking and unlocking the clutch (which is a requirement) without upsetting PA, so ultimately, more bother than it was worth.

I'm far happier using mine for guiding, and using a right-angled 2x magnifying viewfinder over the polarscope instead.

No doubt real Polemaster owner's will be along to give you their opinion. 

YMMV

With a longer FL set up whether better PA or guiding (or both) is needed is an interesting matter. Certainly beyond a 300 mm FL set up I'd consider something extra would be required for exposures beyond 180 seconds. If you can keep the payload weight below the recommended value you could consider the alternative approach of a lightweight set up including something like the QHY mini guider and QHY5L-II M camera which would do for both improved polar alignment and guiding. The SA of course only can be guided in RA.

Once you have polar aligned as long as you feel able to release and tighten the SA's clutch in the dark as often as required and under load without imparting a change in the polar alignment of the set up then you will be fine, otherwise not. The SA clutch can be incredibly hard to release and then once tightened difficult to tighten up enough without imparting unwanted permanent movement in the set up. Your practice may make you more perfect at it. I guess different people will have difference experiences with the mount.

The SA is a cracking little mount within its build.

Whichever way you decide to progress please post your experiences on the forum.

Best Regards,
Steve

Archived