Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Intro

Concretedan

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hi to you all!

If any of you guys are interested, I recently spoke with the owner of a farm campsite in Steeple, Dorset.  I was told that astronomers are more than welcome to use their bottom field to set up and use telescopes.  The cost is £7 per person if you stay overnight but if you leave before morning then there is no charge.  I found this site by using Nightblight and then took a trip down there from Poole (30mins or so).  I hung about until I saw someone and then chanced my arm by asking.  The response was fantastic so I’ll be heading down there fairly soon to see if the skies are as dark as they say.  If anyone wants the address or the name of the campsite just let me know and I’ll give you the name and contact number.  They ask that you give them a call to let them know you are coming as the bottom field is practically empty over the winter.

If all is good it might be a great opportunity for a meet up at some point.

cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for this info, it sounds like that is quite close to a car park that has also been recommended as an observing site just before the switchback on Grange Hill before you descend down into the village of Steeple itself.

We haven't managed to co-ordinate a meet when everyone is free and we have obliging weather conditions, but I would definitely be interested in investigating this site.  From the response that you had, it sounds like it could be the same place that @kev100 posted about in the general forum earlier this year.

Could you PM me the details, but I think I've tracked it down via Google.

Now that we're getting into the observing season, lets hope that the weather cooperates and we get chance to meet up at some of these sites.

Ade

Hi All,

I headed down to the campsite this evening before the moon came up to have a look at how the skies are.  Very impressed, no glow of lights and Milky way visible straight away even before any dark light adaption.  As soon as I get my new scope I’ll be heading down there!

Dan

Dan,

Thats really good news Dan, it sounds like a really promising location, and certainly one that on my list to visit this observing season, so thanks for letting us know about it

Let us know when you next head out and we'll see if we can get several people together.

Regards,

Ade

Archived