Useless unmounted filter mounts from TS.

ollypenrice

27 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

OK, I sent Telescope Service the precise dimensions of the filters, all of which are slightly smaller than the quoted size for the filter holders, and received this reply:

I am sorry to hear that the measures do not quite fit as you had hoped and expected.

Please, let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.

It looks to me what they are actually saying in their reply is, “sorry they did not fit, but what do you want us to do about it” .. :(

that reply should read

”I am sorry to hear that the measurements do not quite fit as they should, please let us know how we can help sort this out” 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I was hoping for an explanation of why a 1.25 inch filter won't fit in a 1.25 inch filter holder and why a 2 inch filter won't fit in a 2 inch filter holder...

Olly

The only logical explanation for this must be that the US inch is slightly larger than the European inch. The question now is: which inch is the continental inch and which is the imperial inch? And let's not forget the Scottish inch.

Sometimes AP is a lot like plumbing.

? implied)

26 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The only logical explanation for this must be that the US inch is slightly larger than the European inch. The question now is: which inch is the continental inch and which is the imperial inch? And let's not forget the Scottish inch.

Sometimes AP is a lot like plumbing.

? implied)

I come from the country which visited upon the earth the imperial measures which all countries bar one saw fit to consign to the dustbin. The one country which didn't preferred to consign its Mars lander to the dustbin instead...

Why can't we just work in mm?

In another life an exasperated mechanic came out of his workshop and delivered a 19 word sentence on this subject of which five were profanities without repetition and with, it must be said, a certain originality of mind...

Olly

I was working in the motor trade when metric started appearing, had to buy metric spanners but only the ones that didn't match AF ones so 10mm, 17mm etc, the upside of this is that I can always find a spanner to fit anything :grin:

Dave

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I get fed up of having to find old oddball imperial sized tools to fix American equipment. They do seem surprised when told the rest of the world has gone metric. ?

That's probably why IKEA provides hex/allen keys with all their furniture kits.

On 02/11/2018 at 14:34, ollypenrice said:

OK, I sent Telescope Service the precise dimensions of the filters, all of which are slightly smaller than the quoted size for the filter holders, and received this reply:

I am sorry to hear that the measures do not quite fit as you had hoped and expected.

Please, let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.

Olly, I know that this might appear a bit (or a lot) pedantic.

Did you clearly state what the problem is, and what action you want them to take?

eg, "I need a refund for the filter holder that you supplied.  They do not work as advertised because they are too small....".

I find that when English is not the mother tongue it is very, very easy for misunderstandings to occur - especially in e-mails.

In fact, these things are much easier to sort out by phone.

If these things are only suitable for use with filters that originally came in a holder, then they do seem a bit pointless.

Unfortunately, the world of astronomy seems to be full of this.

Well the Chinese use the best of two worlds: I have two SkyWatcher Edge scopes where every second screw is metric and every other is American (yes, on the same scope). A brilliant idea especially since we can only get metric screws in Swedish hardware stores. What has saved me is a UK company I found called Westfield Fasteners Ltd. They got it every screw you can think of but then I have to wait a week for the mail.... Recently I also realized that my Explore Scientific 3" reducer almost fits my Esprits. But only almost. The diameter of the treads is the same, 73mm, but SW is 1mm between the treads and ES is 0.75mm between the threads.....

9 minutes ago, gorann said:

The diameter of the treads is the same, 73mm, but SW is 1mm between the treads and ES is 0.75mm between the threads.....

If it's any consolation, both are metric pitch - one is fine 0.75 and other is coarse at 1mm :D

Even Baader are a bit vague about these filter cells. I once bought a filter wheel for 2" filters. Try as I might I couldn't screw in a 2" Ha filter. It was driving me crazy and I did slightly damage the thread on the filter.  Being a forensics graduate and fan of Sherlock Holmes his famous line came to mind: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Well, I concluded it was impossible for the filter not to fit the wheel unless either one of them was the wrong size. I concluded the filter itself was ok as I'd used it in a filter drawyer. So it had to be the carousel in the wheel. Sent it back, got a replacement and the world was back to normal. We don't expect equipment to be badly engineered but sometimes it really is! If that's the case with the filter cell than you should be able to return it and get a replacement, Olly.  Teleskop Express won't routinely check such things - they just mostly buy and sell. Of course you should check the diameter of the filter and of the cell with a digital micrometer first :)
Louise

Archived