Useless unmounted filter mounts from TS.

ollypenrice

A while ago I asked Telescope Service if their 1.25 unmounted filter mounting rings would let me use unmounted QSI-fit 1.25 filters in a regular 1.25 screw-fit filterwheel. They said 'Of course they will.' But they didn't, the filters were far too large to go in the mounts.

The other day I ordered one of these: 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9090_TS-Optics-Low-Profile-Filter-Cell-for-2--filters---only-6-mm-thick.html

I have a 2 inch unounted Astrodon filter which I want to run in a screw-fit carousel. Wouldn't a reasonable person expect this filter holder to work? 2 inch unmounted filter in 2 inch unmounted filter holder? But no, the Astrodon filter is far too large to go in.

Useless. Is it me???

Olly

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, LightBucket said:

I was under the impression that a 2” unmounted filter is larger than a 2” mounted filter, because the mounted one is 2” with the filter cell and the unmounted is 2” without the filter cell... so it could be you.... ??

Nope, the 2 inch unmounted is larger and the holder for 2 inch unmounted filters allows for this by having a smaller threaded part for going into the carousel and a wider part for holding the unmounted filter above the surface of the carousel. But not large enough to carry a 2 inch unmounted Astrodon filter.

So TS advertise a holder for 2 inch unmounted filters into which the rather well-known make of Astrodon 2 inch filters will not fit. 

I'm going to shut up because I can feel a rant coming on!!!

:Dlly

That item you linked is replacement cell - only 6mm thick, that you can use to put your otherwise mounted 2" filter with thicker cell (if cell thickness is causing trouble for some reason).

But, indeed TS put bad description of the item on their website:

"Equip your umounted filters with a suitable cell which fits into 2" eyepieces and adapters. The low-profile cell also replaces standard cells which are too long."

First sentence mentions unmounted filters ("umounted" to be precise :D ), so we could speculate whether they intended to say mounted and "u" in front is just a typo, or ... Then again, second sentence says "also replaces".

They do seem to have quite a bit spelling and translation errors. It looks like most texts on their website is translation from German (can't read German, so not 100% sure), it seems that person doing that is not very proficient in English though.

All in all, not very good description of the item.

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You can say that again!!!!

I've never known an industry which had so many interpretations what '2 inch' means...

Olly

Well according to astrodon their 2" unmounted filters are 50.00mm in diameter ??

22 minutes ago, John78 said:

Well according to astrodon their 2" unmounted filters are 50.00mm in diameter ??

Grrr. So that's 1.9685 inches. When I was at school, admittedly a long time ago, 1.9658 was SMALLER than 2 so why is the filter too big to go in?

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

2 inches is 50.8mm.so Astrodon is also not completely accurate in their description. 

But getting back to the real issue surprising  that TS would make such an elementary mistake(s)

Aaarrgghh, if I respond to this too quickly I'll be gone. Boom!!! Must resist, must resist. Where are my pills?

So both companies use the term 2 inch. But they are different inches. 

Olly

From TS's description I would definitely expect the Astrodon filters to fit.  The astrodon (I believe) are thicker than normal filters, but they should be the standard diameter.

May I ask how the filter is suposed to be retained?  Does the holder unscrew into two halfs?

1 minute ago, don4l said:

From TS's description I would definitely expect the Astrodon filters to fit.  The astrodon (I believe) are thicker than normal filters, but they should be the standard diameter.

May I ask how the filter is suposed to be retained?  Does the holder unscrew into two halfs?

Sure. A filter which would fit would be retained by a very fine threaded ring driven by two tiny opposed slots and screwed into place after the filter went in. It's very nicely made.

Olly

1 hour ago, don4l said:

Well, unless you have happened upon some oversized Astrodons, then you are within your rights to return the filter holder.

Do you have anything to accurately measure the filter and holder?

I do. The filter is 49.7 as Davey and Astrodon suggest - and it is wider than the outside diameter of the filter holder. Perhaps it's a tardis holder for Tardis filters.

Olly

While we're on the subject the Astrodon 1.25 mounted and 31mm unmounted may not sound much different in size, something like .7mm but the actual difference in filter glass size is significant as the 1.25 filters have a really thick metal frame whereas the 31mm unmounted have a really thin frame.

Dave

15 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

While we're on the subject the Astrodon 1.25 mounted and 31mm unmounted may not sound much different in size, something like .7mm but the actual difference in filter glass size is significant as the 1.25 filters have a really thick metal frame whereas the 31mm unmounted have a really thin frame.

Dave

Oh groan. And why are QSI '1.25 unmounted-fit' filters mounted in a great thick outer rim? Of course: so they only fit QSI cameras. Which don't exsit any more. This industry should bend over while we bring on David Beckham...

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Of course: so they only fit QSI cameras. Which don't exsit any more.

Atik have bought the production facilities and intend resuming QSI camera manufacture at some time, in Canada though not Europe I believe.

Dave

OK, I sent Telescope Service the precise dimensions of the filters, all of which are slightly smaller than the quoted size for the filter holders, and received this reply:

I am sorry to hear that the measures do not quite fit as you had hoped and expected.

Please, let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

OK, I sent Telescope Service the precise dimensions of the filters, all of which are slightly smaller than the quoted size for the filter holders, and received this reply:

I am sorry to hear that the measures do not quite fit as you had hoped and expected.

Please, let us know if there is anything more we can do for you.

At first read I also did not get the point (same as them, unless they are playing dumb).

What you wanted to say is that you measured your unmounted filters and they are smaller than stated maximum unmounted filter size that should fit their filter cell but they still don't fit?

Well, they did offer further assistance, so maybe another e-mail with clearer explanation why item is not working for you with explicit pointing out that it did not match your expectation because wrong description on their part, and not because of wrong expectations on your part.

Archived