Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Robert6256

Celestron Nexstar Tripod Center Post

I just recently took a teaching position at a local community college. We have a virtually mint Celestron Nexstar 8 that, as far as I can tell, has had almost no use. Probably because of this, the center support post and accessory tray are missing. I don't need the tray, and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability, but the post does. I am trying to fabricate a new one (we have the machining capability to do it here), but I need some help with dimensions. Specifically, the thread of the post at the top where the rod enters the mounting plate of the scope, and the length of the rod. The rest I can make work.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Robert

Sorry, but you do need the accessory tray, not so much for stability but as somewhere to put the spare eyepieces etc.  I use the accessory tray every time I use my C8, and the same remarks apply to my other mounts.

If you want to buy a tray, note that it is identical to that supplied with the Skywatcher EQ-5 and AZ-4.  I bought an EQ-5 second-hand and had to make an accessory tray out of a rectangle of chipboard. There is no need for it to be round, or have eyepiece-sized holes (38mm) in it.

If nobody else replies, I will take my support post off and try to get the dimensions.

5 hours ago, Robert6256 said:

and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability,

I beg to differ. With the tray wedged onto the tripod legs the whole things seems much more rigid to me. I've used mine for Alt-Az imaging with a 700mm fl refractor. I guess for visual it's not so critical, even with the longer fl of the SC, but every little helps.

Ian

Okay, the centre post is basically a 12mm bar 235mm long.  Starting from the top, there is a M12 threaded section 15mm long, an abutment collar 5mm long, a square section for 12mm spanner 20mm long, and the bottom end is threaded M12 for a length of 60mm. 

You can buy the tray as a EQ-5 accessory tray for £25-£30. 

Also shown is the chipboard tray I made for an EQ-5. You need the tray radius - 125mm.

Tray1_0326.jpg

Tray2_0327.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By andyrawlins
      Hi All
      After much research, primarily on this site and The Binocular Sky, I got hold of the above binoculars.  I spent ages writing a review specifically for this site of what I found, as a thanks for all the advice I had received.  By the power of idiocy I then managed to post it on Cloudy Nights instead (I had both open in my browser).  Too much Christmas port I guess  
      Anyway, too late to take it down as some have already replied and I guess I shouldn't post the same thing on two sites so here is a link to my review on completely the wrong site   No offence at all to Cloudy Nights but I wrote it with the Stargazers Lounge audience in mind and it may make less sense on a US site.
      Comparison of Pentax SP 50 WP 10x50 and Nikon Action EX 10x50 CF

• By Zermelo
      I saw a suggestion somewhere (possibly in SGL) to attach lights to your tripod legs (dark-adaption-friendly ones, of course). The idea being to avoid accidental collisions, especially at star parties or outreach events. We experience this quite regularly at home too, so I decided it was worth pursuing (and also, as users of go-to functionality, I’m getting tired of repeating alignment operations throughout the evening).

The very simple idea was a (removable) clip for each leg, each with an LED. I briefly considered a self-contained battery to power each, but decided that charging them was too much hassle (and I also doubted finding LEDs that would operate at such low voltage). Instead, they would be fed from the USB port on the power supply I previously rigged up. I thought the LEDs would be more noticeable if flashing, and found these.

My SkyWatcher 150i tripod has 1.25” upper legs and 1” lower. Since collisions are most likely with the lower legs, it was that diameter I worked with. I looked for plastic pipe clips of this size (the most common ones are 15mm and 22mm used for plumbing) and found these. They have a hole for a fixing screw that can be used to hold an LED, and they have a hinged collar for holding the tube, which preserves a gap that allows electrical connections to pass.

The screw hole in the clip was wide enough to admit the LED body but not the rim. To allow the LED to protrude from the clip I drilled out the holes a little wider, and about 2/3 of the distance through the clip. The LED could then be pushed through until the rim engaged, and the terminal leads were bent into a succession of right angles to guide them to the top of the clip. I found some twin speaker wire in my junk box, and soldered lengths to each LED’s terminals. The clips have a channel along the edge to allow them to be ganged together. I opened them out with a needle file so that the speaker wire was a tight fit when pressed in – this was for strain relief.

I covered over the soldered joints with some scrap plastic strip, screwed into the clip, and pushed some Araldite into the hole and around the exposed metal, to prevent shorting:

These LEDs seem to work on 5.1V without needing a series resistor, so I twisted the positive and negative ends of the three speaker cables to run directly in parallel. I cannibalised a USB cable for its male socket, and soldered it (with a bit of its flex) to the speaker wires. The USB wires were quite flimsy, so I reinforceded the joint by gluing, sliding over some bits of thin plastic tubing and wrapping with duct tape.

The clips are a very tight fit onto the tripod legs; with hindsight I’d try to find some slightly larger. I’d planned on adding and removing them as needed, but decided to leave them permanently attached:

Total cost: £8.39

• By kevenh
      A week or so I good I did some preliminary research for a decent 32mm eyepiece.  Looking at my results today I went for budget but decent.
      I have ended up with a shortlist of: -
      Revelation 32.0mm Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"
      Celestron 93323 1-1/4-32 mm Omni Series Eyepiece
      Baader Planetarium 32 mm Classic Ortho Eyepiece

My query today as I recheck my findings is the Revelation one.  That is coming up at almost half the price of the other two (at www.telescopehouse.com)
      But this eyepiece made my shortlist due to positive comments about the GSO build.
      So, finally, my question, does the purchase price suggest this 32mm isn't a GSO?
      No rush here.  It's a wish list not a need list - as I remind myself... lol
    • By kevenh
      So the little circular bubble level is weak.
      But how to improve the levelling stage a head of the alignment stage?
      A traditional level like this one
      Or a simple multi purpose one like this one?
      And we do this on the tripod before adding the mount & OTA?
      The mount looks gently curved. How do we check that for level or do we trust the ‘fit’?
    • By hukay
      Bought this mount for a cheap price and I found out that there is something missing...maybe a gear???
      I need your expertise on where to get parts for my  mount or anyone who can 3D print the parts? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.