SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Nexstar Tripod Center Post

Robert6256

I just recently took a teaching position at a local community college. We have a virtually mint Celestron Nexstar 8 that, as far as I can tell, has had almost no use. Probably because of this, the center support post and accessory tray are missing. I don't need the tray, and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability, but the post does. I am trying to fabricate a new one (we have the machining capability to do it here), but I need some help with dimensions. Specifically, the thread of the post at the top where the rod enters the mounting plate of the scope, and the length of the rod. The rest I can make work.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Robert

Sorry, but you do need the accessory tray, not so much for stability but as somewhere to put the spare eyepieces etc.  I use the accessory tray every time I use my C8, and the same remarks apply to my other mounts.

If you want to buy a tray, note that it is identical to that supplied with the Skywatcher EQ-5 and AZ-4.  I bought an EQ-5 second-hand and had to make an accessory tray out of a rectangle of chipboard. There is no need for it to be round, or have eyepiece-sized holes (38mm) in it.

If nobody else replies, I will take my support post off and try to get the dimensions.

5 hours ago, Robert6256 said:

and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability,

I beg to differ. With the tray wedged onto the tripod legs the whole things seems much more rigid to me. I've used mine for Alt-Az imaging with a 700mm fl refractor. I guess for visual it's not so critical, even with the longer fl of the SC, but every little helps.

Ian

Okay, the centre post is basically a 12mm bar 235mm long.  Starting from the top, there is a M12 threaded section 15mm long, an abutment collar 5mm long, a square section for 12mm spanner 20mm long, and the bottom end is threaded M12 for a length of 60mm. 

You can buy the tray as a EQ-5 accessory tray for £25-£30. 

Also shown is the chipboard tray I made for an EQ-5. You need the tray radius - 125mm.

Tray1_0326.jpg

Tray2_0327.jpg

Archived