Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all

Mj3

Hi all,

Another newbie here, my name is Chris and I'm from the west midlands. My new found love of stars came from a recent holiday where I saw a sky full of stars.

I bought a pair of binoculars once I got home because the light pollution blocked out over half of the amount of stars i saw on holiday.

I've began learning the sky and have researched binocular targets and found them too, using both a star atlas and stellarium.

I'm now ready to move onto a telescope and it seems a lot more of a mine field than when purchasing a pair of binoculars.

Hi, Chris, and welcome to SGL.

You are right, telescope-purchase is a much bigger minefield. Budget would be helpful for advice, along with anything in which you have a particular interest (planets, lunar, faint fuzzies [DSOs]). Also will you be looking to have a permanent setup or will you be setting up the scope every time?

Enjoy the journey.

Hello and welcome to SGL... 

If the mine field you're referring to is in the number of scopes to choose from, than I recommend a 8" SCT from a known brand to start with.. this scope is a good all rounder, powerful and will serve you for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived