Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A dream job for someone?

Beulah

I can't speak Welsh so that lets me out.  Probably the wrong degree and I doubt they'd employ a 76 year old ?  Anyway, I like where I am now.  So I don't think I'll bother to apply ?

They want quite a lot for not that much money - degree, own car, relevant experience, evening and weekend work. I suppose it would suit someone who's young, enthusiastic and lives locally.

Louise

ps it looks like one of those jobs where they already have someone in mind but have to advertise the position

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

They want quite a lot for not that much money - degree, own car, relevant experience, evening and weekend work. I suppose it would suit someone who's young, enthusiastic and lives locally.

Louise

I was thinking that.  It's below national average wage, yet they want someone who has a relevant (tourism?  marketing?  astronomy?) degree (or something equivalent, though I'm not sure what would count for that), speaks English and Welsh to a reasonable standard, doesn't mind working evenings or weekends, and knows it's only for two years.  The responsibilities also suggest to me that an applicant needs a certain amount of experience in "the real world".

It's limiting the field a bit, surely?

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It's below national average wage

Maybe you only have to work on clear, dark nights. It is Wales, so 20K for 5 or 6 nights work a year isn't too bad.............  ;)

15 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I was thinking that.  It's below national average wage, yet they want someone who has a relevant (tourism?  marketing?  astronomy?) degree (or something equivalent, though I'm not sure what would count for that), speaks English and Welsh to a reasonable standard, doesn't mind working evenings or weekends, and knows it's only for two years.  The responsibilities also suggest to me that an applicant needs a certain amount of experience in "the real world".

It's limiting the field a bit, surely?

James

I edited and added "ps it looks like one of those jobs where they already have someone in mind but have to advertise the position"

I imagine if it's funded by the Welsh Assembly there is probably a legal requirement that the successful applicant speaks Welsh, especially for jobs in north west Wales where there are more Welsh speakers than anywhere else.  But practicality also demands English.

I can't help thinking (with some regret) that they're fighting a losing battle though.  I suspect it won't take too much longer before almost everyone speaks English as a first language.

James

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

I edited and added "ps it looks like one of those jobs where they already have someone in mind but have to advertise the position"

The thought did cross my mind, Louise.  One of those situations where "we really want to give this person the job but we're legally required to advertise for it, so let's write a job spec that almost no-one will fit".

James

5 hours ago, Craney said:

Let's hope they have a Dark Skies Officer for every County.    I'm here in North Yorks...waiting for the call.

(... n.b.    good job acronym as well.....)

You never know...someone has to get the ball rolling.   ;)

22 hours ago, JamesF said:

I imagine if it's funded by the Welsh Assembly there is probably a legal requirement that the successful applicant speaks Welsh, especially for jobs in north west Wales where there are more Welsh speakers than anywhere else.  But practicality also demands English.

I can't help thinking (with some regret) that they're fighting a losing battle though.  I suspect it won't take too much longer before almost everyone speaks English as a first language.

James

65% of people in Gwynedd are Welsh speakers. The overall percentage is going up and has risen from about 21% to 29% in around fifteen years.

Even when I was a boy, about 10% of Barry's population spoke the language.

Welsh and there were dedicated Welsh-language schools. Two of my classmates spoke Welsh at home.

It's very much a living language, it's not some quaint hangover from the past clinging on with the help of a few cranks.

My understanding (and it may be wrong) is that the majority of the Welsh speakers are the older generations however.  Far fewer school age children seem to speak Welsh as a first language and the overall number of competent speakers seems to be decreasing.  Still, statistics, eh? :)

Until I was 11 we lived around the Gilwern/Crickhowell area.  I went to school in a very small rural village, but I don't recall anyone who spoke Welsh at home despite most of my classmates coming from the local farming community.  There were still Welsh-speakers, but even then I think they were older people.  I guess incoming English speakers tended to gravitate towards other English speakers.  We were taught Welsh at school though.

I know it's not just a few cranks keeping it going, but I'm struggling to persuade myself it will survive in our increasingly globalised world and where it's much more common to move away from where you grew up to find work, especially in rural areas.  I think there may come a time when people find it's just more convenient to speak English and then the language is on a slippery slope :(

And I will think it a shame if that's how it works out.  Despite being born in the south east of England and having spent 80% of my life living outside Wales, in many ways I still consider it "home".

James

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

And I will think it a shame if that's how it works out.  Despite being born in the south east of England and having spent 80% of my life living outside Wales, in many ways I still consider it "home".

I've been exiled for 31 years ?

My impression is that the language is getting more traction, now it's compulsory up to 16, and it doesn't seem to be resented by young people as it's opening increased job opportunities and national identity is more than the Rugby, Max Boyce and male voice choirs of my  youth. I think the investiture of Prince Charles was, ironically, a turning point - it was the point where I suddenly felt I was 'Welsh' and that was different.

One thing that makes me sad is that when you can hear radio Wales and suddenly hear all this fantastic rock and folk (and some pop) music in the Welsh language that gets absolutely no traction in England (where Welsh music = Bryn Terfel, Charlotte Church, the Manics and, if you are lucky, Budgie).

I don't count myself  as a Welsh speaker, I only took Welsh up to 11 and although I understand the basics my vocabulary is tiny. I still enjoy listening to it being spoken as I can usually pick up enough to work out what's being discussed even if I haven't got a clue about the detail.

I managed to get a short contract in South Wales last year and hoping for a big one next year (my dad and one brother live in Barry which would make it practical). Some more frequent visits and I'll take a scope down for visits to the Brecon Beacons (Darn! I know how to say the name in Welsh but I haven't got a clue to to spell it!) ?

On 23/10/2018 at 23:17, Thalestris24 said:

They want quite a lot for not that much money - degree, own car, relevant experience, evening and weekend work. I suppose it would suit someone who's young, enthusiastic and lives locally. It looks like one of those jobs where they already have someone in mind but have to advertise the position

Such is the WAY of Scientific jobs though. And perhaps why those with good
enough qualifications (plus ambition!) tend to look for things more lucrative? ?

My anonymous (retired) informant who worked in Welsh academia felt exclusive
use of Welsh in education might well limit youngsters... But it was "more than his
job was worth" to SAY that. He was bilingual AND enthusiastic about Welsh... ?

Typical STEM job -  Requires plethora of very precisely-matching good qualifications? ?

My bilingual Welsh cousin (academia retired!) suggested that education purely in Welsh
might restrict the progress of youngsters... but it was "more than his jobs was worth". ?
But most of us residents (non speakers too!) feel preservation of Welsh is important.

The amazing thing is that a 12th century language can still
work in the modern age (English has changed significantly)
"Gwe fyd-eang" ??? World Wide Web apparently !!! ?

https://cy.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwe_fyd-eang

Archived