SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer: Many short or few long exposures ?

I continue with my Star Adventurer experiments how to get the most out of it.

I can notice when I taking 120 seconds exposures with my Star Adventurer mount and the 150 mm camera lens I sometimes get elonged stars. And with that long exposures also the brighter stars oversaturate.

How will my equipment perform if I take more and shorter exposurers, can my Canon 6D handle that? It has relative low readout noise at higher ISO settings but limited dynamic range then.

Here I have done two tests to compare:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-dynamics/tutorial-dynamics.html

At least in this case I feel the camera can handle the shorter exposure and still have good dynamics.

I live close to a big city, but I have found two places out in the east close to the coast where I have a relative dark sky. With my small Star Adventurer I can easily go out there and doing astrophotographing.

Almost all my earlier AP have been done with a very lightpolluted sky.

/Lars

I use the results of this article to decide on my optimal sub-length (although others dispute the algorithm). It is where I got the formulae in my signature, and a short discussion on some of it can be found here. Once you know your optimal sub-length and the total time you want to capture, it is a simple division of one by the other to determine the number of subs.

• 1 month later...

I took a new set of photos, both exposure time and ISO setting was different.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-dynamics/tutorial-05-dynamics.html

For me it's hard to see any difference, or what do you say?

It's only the green channel.

/Lars

Hi Steve,

I only use M45 as a testobject. My exposures were 30 second and 120 second. But total only 8 minutes for each set. I try to optimize it for comet photos later this week, fast moving comet. But heavy clouds every night. From the test I have done so far there isn't very much difference if I use only 30 seconds exposures relative 120 exposures.

/Lars

Archived