Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Terrierist

What makes a good/great star party?

Folks.

I have recently gained access to a site within easy reach of Bala, it has good road access, is very quiet and has power available.

There are huge open spaces, but being a complete star party virgin, what makes a good star party?

For the Ornithologists amongst us, there are NightJar here too.

If there is interest, I would be happy to organise a weekend there., It is Bortle Three

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrierist said:

Folks.

I have recently gained access to a site within easy reach of Bala, it has good road access, is very quiet and has power available.

There are huge open spaces, but being a complete star party virgin, what makes a good star party?

For the Ornithologists amongst us, there are NightJar here too.

If there is interest, I would be happy to organise a weekend there., It is Bortle Three

You're definitely going to need insurance so your charges need to cover this.

• Like 1

My Wife and I would be interested, as we have previously thought about a camping/observing trip at a site midway along the eastern side of Bala Lake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L8-Nite said:

My Wife and I would be interested, as we have previously thought about a camping/observing trip at a site midway along the eastern side of Bala Lake.

This is about 2 miles from Bala, Mike. Over the tops of Rhos Y Gwaliau

• Like 1

Low light pollution, no moon,  and an electrical hook up available for the majority of pitches. I would also look carefully at when other star parties are taking place and avoid clashes with ones in the same region of the UK.

If you 're considering Lake Bala as a site, a time of year free from midges is going to have to be a strong consideration.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Low light pollution, no moon,  and an electrical hook up available for the majority of pitches. I would also look carefully at when other star parties are taking place and avoid clashes with ones in the same region of the UK.

If you 're considering Lake Bala as a site, a time of year free from midges is going to have to be a strong consideration.  

Good points made, thanks for the input. We're enough away from Llyn Tegid to avoid the bitey swines!

If the skies are good (and Bala is) then don't worry about clashing with other star parties as there will be plenty attend.

If you run it as a meetup event where everyone books seperate then it is easier than an official star party. Only problem with that is you get the general public in the mix. I've done it a few times and it works out o.k. 

Good luck if you do and if I'm available I would try to make one.

• Like 1

Getting the general public in the mix is great for education, BUT there can be problems associated as some pointedly refuse to obey Red  Light  rules. This can spoil and infuriate the hardened Astro mob and those who would like to see a really dark sky. Spending time and sometimes vast amounts of money on Astro gear only to be frustrated by a few idiots who refuse to follow simple rules can spoil a Star Camp completely. 

Best of luck with your idea.

Derek

• Like 1

Where I and my local chums go, we do not have the camp to ourselves but its a small camp and the few general public we get there are usually very interested in what we are doing, and if we ask politely they will normally turn off any lights.  We do normally have to contend with torches going to and fro to the toilet, but this normally stops after 11pm, leaving us with the rest of the night in darkness.  

In the off season there is rarely any Joe Public there and we get the campsite to ourselves.

Carole 

• Like 1

Yes but you are an imager and they are always part of the problem. I think for a great star party you would need to seperate imagers from visual observers.

Owen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  At my last visit to my club’s dark site, two members of another group turned up about 1.5 hours after we did, with headlights blazing ( for which they did apologise ).  As they have paid for the use of the site, they are entitled to be there.  But it took them 45 minutes to set up their imaging rigs, and seemed to need a lot of light to do that.  Then they asked “what’s that bunch of stars ?”  It was the Pleiades...........

Ed.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  At my last visit to my club’s dark site, two members of another group turned up about 1.5 hours after we did, with headlights blazing ( for which they did apologise ).  As they have paid for the use of the site, they are entitled to be there.  But it took them 45 minutes to set up their imaging rigs, and seemed to need a lot of light to do that.  Then they asked “what’s that bunch of stars ?”  It was the Pleiades...........

Ed.

• Haha 1

Ok, I’ve calmed down a bit, sorry if any offence caused........

But it is true that there’s sometimes an issue between visual astronomy and imaging astronomy.  The former need to get their eyes as dark adapted as possible, the latter don’t.  A bit of common sense will sort it, and we’ll all get along fine.

Ed.

To me, an organized star party is a social event, but for any serious observing I want to be as far away from civilization as practical.

The best star party I've been to had an observing area on top of a hill which you could drive to and set up equipment " before " dark. Vehicles were then driven down the road and observers had to walk up to their equipment; if you arrived late, too bad.