SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Uranian Family

Barv

Hi Guys

I've not posted anything on here for some time. I did however get out with the big cat on Saturday.

After testing collimation, allowing time to cool the scope, and aligning to get the tracking going, I noticed that conditions were very steady indeed. I slewed to Uranus and looking through a 38mm eyepiece. I realised that the seeing was also very respectable. (I have been meaning to have another go at Uranus, as from my location the altitude is very decent when due South). I inserted the ZWO 120mms mono camera and a 610nm long pass filter and set the imaging run for 20 minutes.  After interchanging several barlows and powermates, I ended up using the Televue 2.5X one, and things were still quite steady on the monitor. Firecapture had the focal length listed at 10.34 metres! After doing this run I captured some longer video's of the moon positions etc. I then changed cameras for the ZWO 224mc coloured camera, and did a few minutes on that.

Here is the result which I am pleased with. Please understand that this is a mosaic and not a single capture. the coloured camera was obviously used to capture colour, and the image was overlaid over the mono image to give a fairly accurate coloured image.

I hope you like it.

Cheers Harvey 

uranus mosaic 10.jpeg

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

The Moons of Uranus were captured surprisingly easily in a less than 30 seconds single shot with a DSLR fitted to one of our 16" SCT's last weekend, Stellarium confirmed the positions.    ?

Yes, it didn't take me long to capture on video Peter, I think I was capturing 1 frame every 10-15 secs. I'd be interested to know if you'd captured Miranda? It was actually in my fov but too faint at mag 16.

Cheers Harvey

Archived