Narrowband

remote telescope connection,what do you use?

iwols

hi all had a similar thread a while ago but here goes,i have a remote telescope in a shed at the bottom of my garden approx 20m away and im using a startech usb2004ext usb over lan connection using all ports ,mount/filter wheel ,2 cameras and focuser,the problem i have is now and again sgp is waiting for the plate solve frame to download and sometimes i have a problem connecting to my atik 414,im using a lan 6a cable  reeled out to the shed which like i say works 95% of the time but last night was a pain in the bum,i also tried connecting the cable i had as a permanent feed under the patio/shed which was even worse(that was a waste of time putting in), which made me think it is cable related,what do you guys use apart from a remote computer to connect remotely cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ethernet cables are usually good for way more than 20m. I have a couple of 30m ones in my home LAN which work perfectly.

I suspect it's either a duff cable, or the traffic you're sending down it is too much, or there is a problem with the gear at one or both ends. If you haven't already, check the Ethernet cable is the correct spec - e.g. STP/UTP etc. Not all Cat5 or Cat6s are the same.

If the cable is the problem, you'd have issues remoting into a PC in the shed anyway. I'd start by checking the cable, then the usb over lan box(es), then the rest of the kit.

17 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Ethernet cables are usually good for way more than 20m. I have a couple of 30m ones in my home LAN which work perfectly.

I suspect it's either a duff cable, or the traffic you're sending down it is too much, or there is a problem with the gear at one or both ends. If you haven't already, check the Ethernet cable is the correct spec - e.g. STP/UTP etc. Not all Cat5 or Cat6s are the same.

If the cable is the problem, you'd have issues remoting into a PC in the shed anyway. I'd start by checking the cable, then the usb over lan box(es), then the rest of the kit.

Well the CAT6 standard is 100m, and its rated for 10 gigabits if I recall properly - so, I cant believe he's testing the data throughput rate - so yes something wrong at either end, or the bit in the middle!

I have a similar setup. Startech Usb to Ethernet hub, 15m cable, mount, guide camera and DSLR connected to the hub. Not let me down yet but I will be adding an ASI1600 and filter wheel to it soon... Only little hiccup I get now and again is the DSLR sometimes doesn't register when I plug the 'warm and cosy' hub into the laptop. I have to go back out and flick the Canon off and on for it to register. I use the same ports on the 'cold and damp' hub everytime. I may suggest you connect things in a certain order?

The stuff we use is designed for indoor use, and not the damp and cold outdoors where we use it. Even the electronics/connectors in mounts, hand controllers and cameras is for indoor use. If something fails, I would first and foremost suspect moisture creeping into contacts. A solution is to have extra cables and maybe a hub indoors, dry, and ready to replace malfunctioning gear.

7 hours ago, scitmon said:

As a Radio Amateur too, these are the spawn of the devil. The frequency they switch between plus the harmonics are really causing problems with Radio Frequency Interference - at VHF and HF frequencies.

3 hours ago, martin_h said:

Yep thats what I do too.

I third that. Tried all sorts of ways of extended usb, but a pc next to the scope is the best option I've tried so far. The Intel NUC range will fit in a little waterproof cable box and run from 12v.

I have an old Win7 laptop in the observatory running a powered hub with all the usual add-ons - cameras, focusers etc. Works well.

For connection back to the "office" I use a Cat6 cable and TeamViewer - no issues, no drama.

The setup that I have is a little different.   Firstly, I'm not using an observatory (shed), instead I take my telescope caravaning.

The setup goes like this....

Meade LX-90, StarlightExpress Superstar, ZWO asi290-mm, ZWO Filter Wheel.

All connects to a StarTech USB 3.0 hub (Powered by the same 12v feed that I use for the scope) the USB 3 cable from the hub then connects to my laptop (HP Pavillion)

This allows me to work locally to the scope, everything is good.   However there is more...

I have a DLink Dir615 router that I use in my caravan.   This provides a strong wifi signal, capable of B/G/N, good enough for my needs.  Then finally I have another laptop that I a run in my caravan.  (MacBook Pro)

and connect to the HP laptop via remote desktop.

With my setup, I'm using a wireless connection.  But there's no reason why I can't run wires and have it all hooked up.

The key thing here is that the total distance from a laptop to the router is less that 30m and only the wall of the caravan gets in the way.

The immediate question that I get is asked is what about connecting to the internet?

The answer to that is that have I have a Raspberry Pi 3 connected to the router's wan port.  This in turn connects to a wifi signal (my phone, or site wifi) This way, everything connected to the router has access to the internet.

thanks guys still waiting for the plugs to come but in the meantime tried team viewer on two laptops and now convinced its the way to go if the plugs fail,how different the control was,just need to see if i can make team viewer real full screen cheers

Archived