Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Stub Mandrel

Riciulously Large Moon Image

Last night gave me almost unbelieveable quality data on the moon. I was using my 150PL, Canon 450D. Exposure was 1/2000 so able to freeze the seeing far more than with a webcam.

What do you do when you are able to stack 75% (and the other 25% were as good as I normally get) of 251 crispy, crunchy moon images? Drizzle!

PIPP, AS!3, Astra Image and then PS to use an unsharpened layer to tone down a few blown highlights and remove faint traces of an oversharpened edge (surprisingly this effect was barely noticeable).

Luckily as it's greyscale and I've used high compression, this is 'only' 18Mb, but it's 8,400 pixels square. Have a click as the preview does not do it justice.

2086926426_HugeMoonImage.thumb.png.9f0b407455da2fa5e40206f9fbf6d45a.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
Adjusted to display better online.
  • Like 7

I got "file could not be found"!?

32 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I got "file could not be found"!?

Try again Paul, I adjusted it slightly in an attempt to make it look more like I see it here.

• Like 1

cracking shot Neil. well done, it would make a nice print, but ya maybe have to do it as wallpaper with the size. charl.