Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First go at the moon in a long time

M110

So having only recently returned to astronomy after a long break, I have been doing solely visual up until now. I just received me ZWO ASI 120MC-S and put it to work on the moon last night.

All images taken through my Celestron C8 with f/6.3 focal reducer attached (which I forgot to remove - oops!) from a 3000 frame avi captured in SharpCap before being stacked in AutoStakkert and wavelets applied in Registax.

I'm pretty pleased with the detail visible for my first attempt, however there appears to be a strange background pattern (see zoomed crop image). Does anyone know what is causing this? It's not visible in the original avi files so I'm guessing I've used an incorrect setting somewhere during the stacking process?

21_59_14_g4_ap439 edited.png

22_03_35_g4_ap10 edited.png

22_05_46_g4_ap433 edited.png

pattern.PNG

I believe this is related to debayering. You might find further information on this topic: 

I'm still new to this topic as well, but here is how I understood the discussion:

- Either you tick "Debayer" in the acquisition program

- Or you untick "Debayer", and take care of it after the acquisition

Depending on which option you choose, you might get more or less FPS during the acquisition, at the cost of an extra step in post-production and a bigger file size.

Archived