Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice please

steviemac500

Hi all, I have a Moravian G2-8300 which I love. When I bought it, I got it with the internal FW which only holds 5 filters. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by having to change the filters out when I do NB (retaking flats) etc. Ideally I would like a bigger FW to hols all the filters but after speaking to Moravian, it is not possible to backwards engineer the camera to do this. I am tempted to buy a  OSC (ZWO ASI294 PRo) to do away with RGB filters altogether and keep the Moravian solely for NB. This seems like an expensive option though? Another option could be to sell the Moravian and buy another camera with external FW to hold all the filters but I'm not sure what I would buy to compare to the G2-8300. I'm also concerned about losing quality with a OSC. MY wife has said just buy the other camera but I was hoping for seem advice before I take the plunge or if anyone has a better solution? Thanks in advance,

Steve

An option would be the EFW3 with the 7x2” carousel with a new camera. I have an EFW2 with 5x2” and I understand your frustration - it has NB and Lum filters. I also then use a OSC to capture RGB.

Literally today I received another EFW2 with the 9x1.25” carousel which I’m planning on trying out with my 383L.  It is going to be tight but I hope it works.

But I think the movarian is superior in terms of noise despite being the same sensor, from what I’ve read anyway. 

If you're happy with your Moravian, follow your wife's advice. Afterall, she's the "swmbo".

If you get an osc, you can have one position in the Moravian filter wheel for lum. And osc cmos have smaller pixels, so no loss of detail.

Archived