Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Koma52

Beginner DSLR for about $700

Hello,

I want to get into astrophotography. I have a Newtonian (200/1000) and I'd like to buy a DSLR. My preferred maker is Canon, but you can change my mind if you recommend something else and I like it :) . My budget is around $700 or less and most importantly used cameras not an option because in my country there isn't any good places to buy used DSLRs. I'd like to do prime focus photos and some Milky Way photos. I found out that the 1000d would be a good option but it's not in the stores any more. Then I thought about the 750d but it has vertical lines in the photos. Now I'm thinking about the 2000d but I didn't found any astrophoto experiences with it on the internet. So what's your recommendations?

There’s a lot of caveats to the following advice but like;

1. what are your intended targets?
  2. do you have a tracking mount?
  3. are you sure you can reach focus (prime focus) with a camera on your scope?
  4. are your expectations realistic?

If you haven’t considered the above then I would definitely consider strongly. However - you didn’t ask that, so in answer to your question

1. have you tried shopping online? I’m sure there’s plenty of places that’ll ship to you as you are in the EU.
  2. pretty much any DSLR would do great - if it helps, I use a canon 1300d, it’s recently been discontinued by Canon so there are some great deals out there. Same goes for Nikon d3400. 

if you are interested in milky way shots you don’t need to worry about prime focus at all. Just use the 500 rule (500/ aperture = maximum exposure in seconds before star trails become evident). So with a standard kit lens at 20mm you can get about a 20 second exposure on a fixed tripod which is fairly useful.

happy hunting.

• Like 1

Whatever you buy I'd definitely recommend one with a pivoting rear screen, makes life much simpler and more comfortable to use - I have a modified Canon 600D.

Second hand in the UK it's worth about US $350

Hi. How about a 1300d? Tried and tested sensor, about half your budget and with wifi to view images and control the camera via your 'phone. If you decide you're gonna stay with astrophotography, it's also easy to modify.

HTH

Edited by alacant

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By baticles
      Hi all i am wondering if there is someone or a few people that can help me with choosing the right and my first telescope any help would be great full thank you. 
      i intend to use it to look at deep sky objects like nebulas other solar systems if thats even possible and anything else out side of our solar system,
      i also wish to view objects, planets and moons in our solar system,
      i do wish to do some astrophotography in the future so if i can get a telescope that is brilliant at viewing and for photography that would be awesome 
      i have a budget of around £1500 
      the telescopes i have been looking at are these but i am so unsure i need some help with choosing the right one for me, if there is a cheaper option i am all down for that then i can buy some accessories  to go with it, 
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-explorer-250pds-neq6-pro-goto-telescope.html
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-nexstar-8-se-telescope.html
      thank you for taking your time to help me out
    • By grievous
      Hello! I have a question on how can I mount my camera to my Sky-Watcher Starquest 130P telescope? I’ve watched so many videos about it and there’s so many different answers on what I need to do that. At the moment, I have 2x Barlow lens and a DSLR. I know that a T-ring is also necessary but is there anything more? Any help is highly appreciated, thanks! (I’m really new to telescopes and astrophotography in general so I hope I don’t say anything dumb)
    • By Ken Mitchell
      Hi all,
      For a long time I wanted to shoot this frame, probably from the early days of my astrophotography adventure.
      Finally after all these years I managed to get a decent result of the 'stuff' between these two beautiful nebulae. Fairly happy with the image but always looking for improvement.
      I hope one day to redo this all with a mono camera and filters. 
      Apart from NGC1499 , M45 and the Baby Eagle Nebula no idea what else is in the picture. If you happen to have an idea feel free to educate me.

Some info on image and capturing:
      Widefield Pleiades to California.
      Taken over 2 nights with a total of 11hrs 25min integration.  
      With a stock Nikon d610 and Nikkor 85mm 1.8 objective.
      Tracking was done with the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.
      Lights and all calibrations frames were stacked in DSS.
      Processing was done in Adobe Photoshop CC using Adobe Raw, GradientXterminator plugin, HLVG plugin, Nik software plugins and Photokemi action set.

Ken

• By Simple-Human
      Managed to get this Telescope as my first (second-hand for £40, hardly used). Just wondering best objects to aim to see (I got a cheap moon filter which is all I have really had a chance to spot in the night sky so far).
      Hoping as the hobby goes to invest in a more expensive one (any thoughts on next step up also welcome).
      I have only had a few goes with it so far and found the Azimuth mount to be easy to use, but there is a metal rod which you can turn to slightly alter (don't think this is moving across the equatorial) however you can only turn it so far before the thread at the top falls out (is that normal?).
      Any other random tips also welcome!
      https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-76-700-astrolux-az-1/p,5010#tab_bar_1_select
    • By Spider-Man
      Hi everyone,
      I'm looking to get a reasonably portable astrophotography set-up, using a 60-100mm refractor, with a suitable goto mount.  I spotted the Explore Scientifice exos2-gt with pmc-eight goto system, which looks like quite an elegant solution, and wondered if anybody in the forum owns this mount, and what they think of it's performance & usability?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.