Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner DSLR for about $700

Koma52

Hello,

I want to get into astrophotography. I have a Newtonian (200/1000) and I'd like to buy a DSLR. My preferred maker is Canon, but you can change my mind if you recommend something else and I like it :) . My budget is around $700 or less and most importantly used cameras not an option because in my country there isn't any good places to buy used DSLRs. I'd like to do prime focus photos and some Milky Way photos. I found out that the 1000d would be a good option but it's not in the stores any more. Then I thought about the 750d but it has vertical lines in the photos. Now I'm thinking about the 2000d but I didn't found any astrophoto experiences with it on the internet. So what's your recommendations?

There’s a lot of caveats to the following advice but like;

1. what are your intended targets?
  2. do you have a tracking mount?
  3. are you sure you can reach focus (prime focus) with a camera on your scope?
  4. are your expectations realistic?

If you haven’t considered the above then I would definitely consider strongly. However - you didn’t ask that, so in answer to your question

1. have you tried shopping online? I’m sure there’s plenty of places that’ll ship to you as you are in the EU.
  2. pretty much any DSLR would do great - if it helps, I use a canon 1300d, it’s recently been discontinued by Canon so there are some great deals out there. Same goes for Nikon d3400. 

if you are interested in milky way shots you don’t need to worry about prime focus at all. Just use the 500 rule (500/ aperture = maximum exposure in seconds before star trails become evident). So with a standard kit lens at 20mm you can get about a 20 second exposure on a fixed tripod which is fairly useful.

happy hunting.

Hi. How about a 1300d? Tried and tested sensor, about half your budget and with wifi to view images and control the camera via your 'phone. If you decide you're gonna stay with astrophotography, it's also easy to modify.

HTH

Archived