Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A trio of planets

glowingturnip

I don't normally do much planetary stuff, never really had the focal length for it, but I had just recently gone up to 1000mm and they were all three really sparkling back in August, so I thought I'd give it another go.  Nothing compared to some of the stunning efforts on this board of course, but at least you can tell what they are.

43657792240_9eddcc4ff7_o.png

Equipment as per sig, taken with the QHY through, ahem, a 2x barlow nested in a 2.5x barlow !

All taken on the 18th August 2018. The Jupiter at 18:20 UT, Mars at 18:34 UT and Saturn at 19:00 UT.

The dark spot on Jupiter is the shadow of the moon Io as it transited across the face of the planet (I think Io itself is just inside the disc at about the 1 o'clock position, but difficult to make out).  The Great Red Spot is visible as well, of course.

In the Mars image, the south polar cap (carbon dioxide dry ice and water ice) is visible at the bottom, and the dark patch just above it is Mare Sirenum.

Saturn's rings are at an angle of about 26 degrees to us in this picture.

Hope you enjoy !

Those are some great images, Stuart, and they're all yours! You got a moon shadow, the Great Red Spot, a decisive Cassini Division, cloud bands, and a Martian polar cap - who could ask for more? I like the dreamy, ghostly effect of the processing, too. Very artistic. :D 

Reggie

Archived