Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HDR astrophography

umbilic

I am disppointed in the low dynamic r ange of my camersa in lunar photography - try to get detail on the terminator and burn out the rest of the field. This applies both to CCD and DSLR. I am aware of the DSLR options - which are disappointing but is there a CCD camera suitable for lunar work with a decent dynamic range ? Lucky imaging and stacking with poor seeing don't lend themselves to the usual stacking techniques. Any suggestions ?

Hi Umbilic, I would try this way. Take a pic of the highlights  and then another of the dark areas and blend them in LR or photoshop. I use Elements 18 for any blending. Or try them in PhotoMatix which is a purpose software engine for HDR Photography.

Regards

Keith

If you expose so the brightest parts of the image are not burnt out stacking lots of images will greatly increase the dynamic range allowing you to extract that detail in the darker bits.

I would say whole disc Lunar is where DSLR and even bridge cameras can excel.

Archived