Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroArt4 and Maxim DL5

Anne S

Has anyone noticed that AstroArt5 displays fits files upside down compared with Maxim DL5?  I noticed it some time ago when I was trying to get a MX716 colour ccd to display the bayer matrix correctly. AstroArt also displayed the imaged flipped when imaging. Not easy when trying to align the cameras!

I'm now running 2 imaging cameras at the same time and I've decided to use Maxim for the main camera and possibly AstroArt4 for the 2nd one. I've also tried Artemis capture. Images taken there display the opposite way around in each bit of software. It's doing my nut! Maxim allows me to open it twice but as soon as I use the 2nd camera it loses connecting with the 1st camera! I don't really want to use 2 laptops. I'm getting all the subs using 2 separate bits of software.

Is there a setting I should be selecting, I did see the ASCOM preferences offered tick boxes for left to right and up and down.

I'm also trialling APT for the 2nd camera which shows everything the right way around but I don't know it as well as AstroArt.

This happens sometimes - there are different coordinate systems used in programming - natural one where Y axis goes from bottom to top - think normal function graph - X axis to the right, Y axis upwards, and there is "screen" space - in it X axis goes normal way - left to right, but top most pixel on screen has Y coordinate 0 and positive Y values go down. Sometimes programmers display in "regular" coordinate system, and sometimes in screen space (in second case, they are just being lazy to properly orient image - code that displays image in screen space is faster - just copy between memory locations and don't bother with inverting things).

This does not mean that image is captured upside down - it just means it is displayed "inverted" (Y axis anyway), so you should not worry about any sort of rotation / flipping, bayer matrix will always be the same regardless of display orientation chosen. Same piece of software will always display images in the same way (either Y up or Y down) but it should not affect anything with image it self.

I must say that I use two cameras, but use two laptops and the same capture programme for both, so orientation is not a problem.

Last time out I decided to see if I could use a hub and put both cameras on the same laptop, my software (Artemis) does allow for two cameras), but I found the cameras got stuck on download and then flushing, so abandoned that idea.  I don't have enough USBs to run off the same computer with a hub.

You may find the use of a 2nd laptop will solve your problems and you can use the same software on each with the same orientation.

Carole 

I did try Artemis but couldn't figure out how to make it save! I lost 2 exposures. I later found out that the save folder hadn't been created on install. That's why I switched to AstroArt4.

Incidentally both Maxim, AstroArt and Pixinsight displayed my single image from Artemis orientated differently!

My other camera is a SXH694 so was used in Maxim as usual.

I got 2 1/2 hours of imaging last Tuesday giving my nearly 5 hours of data on the California Nebula. Ha and RGB(which was not that good). Good practice though. I still need to fine tune my camera alignment. It was about 9 degrees off. That's why I wanted to load a couple of subs in one programme. Image after cropping out the misalignment below. I can't get much more of the nebula in without doing a mosaic! One step at a time.

4CA4A512-16D0-4A1A-AEB1-0B547DDFC230.jpeg

Archived