SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Last night.... Near disaster

jgs001

Well, it started out clear, at 1930, so kids in bed, I lugged out the scope, powerpack, and went to fetch the camera. Having carefully fitted the CLS filter to the nosepiece, I removed the 55-250 lens, started to fit the T adapter, and watched as my prized and most used lens fell, in slow motion, crashing to the floor crybaby2.gifcrybaby2.gifcrybaby2.gifcrybaby2.gif . I gingerly picked it up, half expecting bits of glass to come spitting out the end. Thankfully, the body didn't even appear marked, so I put the caps back on and securely put it back in the bag. Went back out, attached the camera and started the power up and align (I figured in true mastermind style, I'd started so I'd finish). Anyway, as I was slewing to Mirfak, the clouds moved in, in force. I packed up again. Shame as I could, before the clouds moved in, faintly see the ribbon of the milky way passing overhead.

After all was back inside, I popped the 55-250 lens back on and started testing. I've done more testing this morning, and it appears to have survived unscathed. Phew...

A word of caution... Make sure everything is secure before moving onto something else...

Having capture a shot this morning with the dropped lens, through the kitchen window, I can safely say it's working fine.

IMG_8516.jpg

Had a similar experience recently, dropped my D70 with the 18 - 70 mm lens attached onto a gravelled drive :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: When I picked it up, I expected to see a lot of damage. Very surprised to find that the only damage was a broken lens hood, it had taken most of the shock of the fall. Camera is still working fine, no marks on the body of the lens or camera :)

Archie

So far, fired about another shots through it, so far OK :) Have been looking for a replacement hood, but not readily available here in France, good camera shops are few and far between, Warehouse express list them, but on back order, haven't tried fleabay yet.

Archie

I was suggested by a photography forum to shoot frames at a variety of apertures across the entire zoom range at different focus points to ensure that all worked properly. I also deliberatly forced the shutter speed low to test the IS. Good luck on finding the lens hood.

Archived