Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon telephoto lens filter

Brian28

Hi , I'm down in Cornwall on holiday this week . I didn't bring my scope with me but I did bring my mount and my 300/2.8 telephoto lens .. 

my question is , the lens has a small L37c internal filter fitted , should I leave it in place or remove . I  believe it is a UV filter .

any  suggestions ? 

Cheers Brian  

Hi Dave , just to clarify the filter is designed to be removable .. it takes just a few seconds to remover the holder and unscrew the filter .. I just wanted to know if the UV filter was detrimental to the overal Astro picture quality.. 

regards Brian 

Here's a photo I took with my 300mm f2.8 some time ago. Used at f2.8 and with the filter glass in.

There were some tests done a few years ago by a group of birders ( I think it was ) and the consensus was to keep it in.

Dave 

300mm @ f2.8.jpg

My guess is that the lens has least CA in the visible spectrum.  It is likely that the focal point for UV is slightly different and so may be detrimental to your image.  The only way to be sure is to give it a go.

Archived