Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unknown Tripod needs repairs

Newbs2215

Hi All,

I have just acquired a very old tripod in need of some repairs. I have searched the internet to try to identify the tripod, but to no avail. One of the securing brackets for the spreader is broken. Looking for advice on how best to repair or bu.y the required parts

The tripod also came with a EQ mount, which I cannot also identify and a 200mm Reflector Scope (looks just like a Skywatcher 200P).

Please take a look at the photos I have attached and if you can help please let me know.

Graham

20181019_134928.jpg

20181019_134944.jpg

20181019_134954.jpg

20181019_135001.jpg

20181019_135221.jpg

20181019_140852.jpg

20181019_140909.jpg

20181019_142003.jpg

I've seen that tripod and mount supplied with 200mm F/4 newtonian telescopes but they are not Skywatcher scopes. This is the nearest that I can find to it:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/-BM-800203EQ-IV-A-Outdoor_60318555148.html

Sometimes the scope tube is branded "Helios" but this is not the same as when the Skywatcher manufacturer used that branding. They are made in China but I don't know any more about them. There used to be a review on the net somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

It might be a Helios telescope - they became Sky-watcher later.  I have a Helios 200mm  f5 reflector.  I saw a picture of one on an aluminum tripod something like yours. 

I doubt that an aluminum tripod is really up to the job - mine is mounted on an EQ-5 with 1.75" stainless steel legs and that is just sufficient.

Cheap answer - if you are handy with metalwork, make up two new brackets from metal angle. They don't need to look like the original brackets - just have the right size holes in the right places.

Expensive answer: EQ-5 type tripod - ~£100.

Hi,

Just looked at the link and that appears to be exactly what I have been given. Cost £0.00.

I just need to repair the mount and then collimate the scope and then I will be good to go.

Thinking about it, I will probably just buy a new Tripod (a bit lazy really).

Many thanks

Graham

The tripod is probably the weakest part - it's not really up to carrying a 200mm reflector. If you could replace the aluminum legs with wooden ones it would be much better. You will probably need to re-use the tripod hub because that is specific to that mount.

Even though the "Helios" name was used in the past by the manufacturer Synta, who later re-launched the scopes under the Skywatcher branding, the mount shown above is not a Synta product and I doubt that the scope is.

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

It might be a Helios telescope - they became Sky-watcher later.  I have a Helios 200mm  f5 reflector.  I saw a picture of one on an aluminum tripod something like yours. 

I doubt that an aluminum tripod is really up to the job - mine is mounted on an EQ-5 with 1.75" stainless steel legs and that is just sufficient.

Cheap answer - if you are handy with metalwork, make up two new brackets from metal angle. They don't need to look like the original brackets - just have the right size holes in the right places.

Expensive answer: EQ-5 type tripod - ~£100.

The original Helios brand was Skywatcher, this particular telescope and mount are sometimes branded as Helios (not the same as the original) and also various other brand names.

Thanks John,

None of the equipment has any markings on them, but for nothing, I cannot complain.

I think I will probably have to buy a new tripod though.

However, finances are tight at the moment, which is why I was going down the repair route.

If all else fails, I will just stick to using my Nexstar4SE, until I can afford something better.

Graham

The mount repair might not be too bad.. you can use a few L section brackets from any DIY store.. pack of 10 for around £5ish.. You'll need to use a HSS drill bit and clamp to cut a larger hole in possibly..

but you should end up with something like this..

20180714_123641.thumb.jpg.096d2d4ac3fbf389ff5cd31cb81113a9.jpg

Do you still have the fixing for the spreader to the legs.. as in the through bolt?

I'll have a look tonight when I get in.. I might have some of the little metal brackets left over you can have a couple if that's the case..

Ta

Fozzie

If you don't want to buy a new tripod (and probably a matching mount head) the cheap answer is to make new brackets (or have them made). The design of the brackets is not at all critical and they don't have to mount to the same holes in the tripod.  A more substantial tripod would of course be better.

3 hours ago, Newbs2215 said:

Many thanks Fozzie.

No problem.. something like this might work..

DM me your address and I'll post it out to you... you'll just need to fix it to the tripod leg.

20181019_191340.thumb.jpg.9022c31a03606034c4f10dc753228d31.jpg

Ta

Fozzie 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived