Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My astrophotography blog

Space Oddities

Hello everyone! :) 

In my introduction topic, I mentioned that I was working on a blog, and now that it's in a presentable state, I thought I could share it with the SGL community... and hopefully receive your feedback! :) 

When I started astrophotography, just over a year ago, I realized how much I had to learn, but also how inaccessible this hobby seemed, for the amateur photographer that I am. And the more I photographed and discovered this hobby, the more I realized that it isn't inaccessible at all. Sure, you need some equipment, at a cost, and understand a few things to get properly started... But it's possible!

So I thought, why not create a blog? I saw many blog owners sharing their experiences, good and bad, as well as numerous tutorials and reviews that helped me at some point. And I felt the need to do the same, to write with my own words, hoping that I might, in return, help someone.

Another thing that motivated me, is the fact that I could also learn a lot from this blog. I wanted to write articles about astronomy and astrophotography, with my own words, to answer the questions that I asked myself at some point. It's not always easy to understand some concepts, so my goal is also to make them more accessible to the neophytes. And perhaps motivate someone to jump into this fabulous hobby? :) 

spaceoddities.thumb.jpg.82389f5a7afe85d36add85ebdb8943df.jpg

In this blog, I intend to write about my imaging sessions, like a journal: what worked, what didn't, the equipment and settings I used, etc. I read here and there that it's a good way to measure your progress and learn from your mistakes. 

I also plan to write about the equipment I use, the tools I find useful, the interesting books I stumble upon, etc. I have a limited budget and a very modest setup, and I'm certainly not the only one, so I believe that's an interesting story to share!

Finally, I started a (modest) glossary. One of the biggest frustration I had as a beginner, comes from all the abbreviations, terms and strange words used by the astro-community. I almost discover a new one every day! But now, I can at least write down what they mean; it helps me, and will hopefully help another newbie lost in this jungle! With my own words, and armed with homemade PowerPoint diagrams, I try to summarize some notions that are sometimes not so easy to understand at first -- or that I just find fascinating!

So, here is the link: https://www.spaceoddities.eu :)  Feel free to take a look at my About page, for more background information :) 

Of course, I'd be very happy to have your feedback! Especially if I wrote something egregiously wrong... ?  There's always something to learn!

Thank you!

Space Oddity

PS: Sorry if I didn't post in the right section, I wasn't sure... ? 

Edited by Space Oddities
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...